Squeezed in my 1st hunt for 2010

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took advantage of the better weather today and needed to get out and at least swing the detector for a couple hours, not really caring if I got some goodies or not. So I went to one of my December sites and was surprised to see a snow shower dusted the ground in that area.
Although I got no old coins today, don't think a 2002 clad dimes counts as old ::) I did at least get 4 relics that are old, so that was some consolation.

The biggest surprise of the day was that after quite a few days of not getting above freezing the ground in the woods was not frozen at all in most spots and the worst I encountered was about 2-3 inches of frozen stuff in areas without much leaf litter. But the sharpened dry wall hammer had no trouble cutting plugs out to expose soft, sandy soil underneath the was easy to dig.

So, a bunch of junk today, plenty of shotgun casings, and other stuff, (I hunted close to a road where people dumped trash over the years :() But I was pleased to get two old one piece buttons (one with three holes drilled in it) and a very heavy handle section of a old pewter spoon, and one piece of flat engraved metal with a beautiful design on it. Oh, my first recovery of the year was the 2002 clad dime. ;D

Don

Attachments

• Hunt1.jpg
    Hunt1.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 1,112
  • Hunt1b.jpg
    Hunt1b.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 1,105
  • hunt1c.jpg
    hunt1c.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 1,108
  • Hunt1Junk.jpg
    Hunt1Junk.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,097
  • Hunt1Goodies.jpg
    Hunt1Goodies.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,092
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is nice to see you getting out on a Colonial hunt, Don. I wish we could have similar luck in our area. :'( Cabin fever is BAD now. :laughing7:

Kirk

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some interesting items, must of felt good just to swing for a while. :icon_thumright:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Way to chisel out the finds. :icon_thumleft: Is that a gold wedding band or junk metal?
-MM-

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Don,
Way to chisel out the finds. :icon_thumleft: Is that a gold wedding band or junk metal?
-MM-

Doug, I have not looked at the finds since I got home, but that is a piece of brass I believe and too small to be a ring, I think. My curiosity is the one flat button with three holes in it, that is unusual and even the button is unlike any type I can remember finding.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Don, it is nice to see a northerner getting in some hunting recently. Your chiseling efforts gave you some early goods! Any one of those flat buttons could have turned out to be a large cent or Colonial.

I'll be perusing over the forums this winter. I don't plan on digging again until March...and I'm saying that with my fingers crossed. In 1994, when I was a young buck, we got 12 inches of snow on April 3. :'( I loved it back then, because it meant Kirk and I could go outside and roll around in the snow and have snowball fights. :laughing9: Ah, the good ole days of reading, writing, and arithmetic. :laughing9: I sure do miss those days when the thoughs on my mind were all about Nintendo video games. :laughing9: I wonder what takes up nearly all of my thoughts now? :laughing9:

I hope you score a nice coin or two before Winter gets a firm grasp on you. I do recall you finding that rare clipped planchet KG III halfpenny in February a few years ago.

Kyle

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Not bad for first day of the year and weather conditions. I'm still waiting for my first day. Really frozen here. And no relief in site. Snowing again and temps dropping below zero Friday night.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, its nice to see that you got out buddy, I'd figured the ground would've been frozen solid up your way as cold as

its been down here in Virginia :icon_scratch: I guess the woods shielded the soil from too much of a deep freeze..

At least you got out and enjoyed some diggin time :icon_thumleft: :wink: Is that a copper that has the two holes

through it?

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting out thx for sharing! HH

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see your able to pull them in this time of year, I'd need a jackhammer with the dirt we have right now..LOL

HH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And don't ya feel much better now! :icon_pirat: Neat button!

Nana :wink:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine it feels good to get that clad dime out of the way for 2010. :)

I am envious of anyone who is hunting right now. But above-freezing weather may finally be on the way the middle of next week.

-Buckles

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said earlier the holed button seemed different, and I still think I never found one this size that was sort of dimpled like it is, maybe I have but none that I can remember. I was pleasantly surprised to see a cute punched Flower design on this button. Why the three holes are there, I most likely will never know.
drywallhammer.jpg

I also cleaned the flat piece of metal I found and that has a beautiful design on it, whatever the piece broke off of, must have been very pleasant to look at.
dimpledflowerbutton.jpg

Here also is my "digger" accessory of choice when hunting with ground that is frozen say 1-4 inches. It also is great for chopping thru roots. A drywall hammer with the blunt ended blade sharpened. Hang it on a hammer belt and it is readily accessible for use..
flowerdesignflatmetalpiece.jpg

Don

Attachments

• drywallhammer.jpg
    drywallhammer.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 727

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread