Other
20171001_052745_HDR.jpg 20171001_052729_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can I show other angles around the curves? Admit was suspicious of the title of the post but piece looks interesting.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of course its natural

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lack of flakes or marks does not mean this is not man made. Catlinite effigies are perfect examples. Many native stone tools and adornments are ground. As for this I don't know without seeing more angles or knowing if it comes from a confirmed NA site. If it was just found at random with no nearby native stuff I would say probably not. If it was found near NA stuff I would say a solid maybe. If it was catlinite I would say probably.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have doubts (a lot) but the round humps have me interested in seeing more pictures. Would like more context of where found. Every time I see title effigy always skeptical but shape is odd. I def would have picked this up if at a site to ask for second looks. Like to see if any marks around edges of the humps

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
It was found on the 7 mile creek in an area hopping with artifacts. I will get more pics. Natural. Lol.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would have liked to see the interior surfaces of the indentations as well. How can I know if those indentations have not been pecked and ground in if I can't even see them?? Sure it's likely natural, but I've been collecting for 60 years and I have found many rudimentary waterworn notched weights because I picked up a "possibility" and was able to detect pecking in or around the notches even though waterworn. Of course this is not a notched weight nor a squirrel effigy. But I would have picked it up to more closely examine the notches, which, again, do not show their interior surfaces in these photos. And I don't think I would need to take up stamp collecting just because I wanted to satisfy my curiosity....

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
look at it this way...if someone took the great amount of time to fashion that stone, with all the pecking, grinding and smoothing....they would have taken the short amount of extra time to make it obvious as an effigy.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a Indian nut cracker shaped like a squirrel . Is that what you are looking for on this piece? Its natural

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread