SS Edmund Fitzgerald

Get the book; "Shipwrecks of Lake Superior" by James R. Marshall, Lake Superior port Cities Publishing Co. It has all the details including pictures of the wreck and the "Fitzgerald Board Report". The sketch of the wreck suggests she broke in two from a 50' wave before sinking.

thanks for that link Lobsterman. If you have any further info then it would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Seal

I am a great lakes shipwreck diver here in minnesota and can tell you with all certainty that it is illegal to dive the edmund fitzgerald. Because of the cold lake superior freshwater the bodies of the crew are preserved on the wreck and the surviving family members have requested that divers do not dive this "underwater graveyard." There are alot of other shipwrecks in lake superior that are divable though. And some of the deeper wrecks do still have bodies inside. One of the deeper wrecks that is visited regularly by technical divers is located in isle royale and is named the kamloops. There is supposedly still a member of the crew in the engine room. While the ship was not carrying any "treasure" it is still a very cool ship to see firsthand.

There was a show about this on either the History Channel or Discovery Channel some months ago. I'm sure you could track it down and get it on VHS or DVD. Both stations sell copies of their shows, or at least I'm pretty sure they do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back