wrecks here round Anna Maria Island , Egmonte, mullet, rattlesnake keys ?

boatwatch

Greenie
Mar 9, 2005
Anna Maria Island
wrecks here round Anna Maria Island , Egmonte, mullet, rattlesnake key's ?

:)
good morning Florida, its sat, the 26th @ 7:30 am getting ready to head to a wreck that i have found , not sure how old but in this area, i think it has not been really searched or researched that well, there are said to be some very attractive wrecks out n& about this area, from henry caster, hence the name caster /Castor key/ now called EGMONT key. he is said to have buried a nice lot of gold round this area , him as well as Lafitte, old billy bow legs thats just to name a few, well if anyone would like to go and help me research these places, drop a note, summer is upon us here and it will be a good one at that , have the boat , mine-lab ex-cal 800 ,8" coil , sea view , etc etc, and will soon be getting another hookah , should have either kept the 1st one or 2nd one ,lol you all know how it goes, OK have heard from a few so far and would like to hear from others as well as anyones input as to the above stated. thanks AKA BOATWATCH

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: wrecks here round Anna Maria Island , Egmonte, mullet, rattlesnake key's ?

Boatwatch, go for it and good hunting. Heading to the marina myself for a long day aboard the boat. The Excal 1000 is all charged and ready to dive. Unfortunately the boat is not yet ready for the open water... but soon!

Happy Hunting

Q

OP
OP
boatwatch

boatwatch

Greenie
Mar 9, 2005
Anna Maria Island

Good deal ,, well hopefully you'll be set to go by summer, is the boat ready for the icw, and inland areas or do you have a lot of work to do before you take her out at all. your mine lab you like it? mine had a few bugs at first when i bought it, but you know how that goes, anyways glad to hear you dropped a line , hopefully we can all get together and have a weekend of searching and pix taking of the bottom f this area As well as have a sit down over some steaks on the grill and talk about a few things that are said to be here in my area, Kev lives here by me but he said he is on the road but Will get back to me, again good luck to you and go get em, lol, parlei ?? heehhe

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Boatwatcher, my boat is in relatively sound condition. I started restorations on her last summer, just pulling out some rotten wood and general clean up, as she had sat for a number of years unattended due to the death of the previous owner. However, she came with two new engines, and that is half the battle. Then came the hurricanes, they added insult to injury, and put me behind the power curve for completion by this spring. That and my house in Satellite Beach took some damage also. As soon as I have completed the installation of the bulk head between the saloon deck and the cockpit (about another three weeks), I will be able to take her out on a shake down cruise. Without that bulkhead the fly bridge deck is just a little shaky for the open water.
I love my Excalibur 1000, It?s much easier to use underwater than on the beach. However, she has more than paid for herself with beach recoveries ? and that is with the finds prior to the year of the hurricanes.
Looking forward to sitting on deck at sunset eating fresh lobster, drinking some good rum and counting all that gold and silver from a long hard day in Florida waters. Ahhhhh the life.

Attachments

• Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 576

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hey Boatwatch,
I live in the St. Pete area too. You are a little too late. I have already been all over Egmont, Mullet, Ana Maria, etc. as well as many others before me. I also have the research. Laffite was never in this area. Egmont is now a state park (no digging allowed). Have you ever visited Little Cockroach Is.? Very interesting. Lots of pirate markings and many holes from past digging.

OP
OP
boatwatch

boatwatch

Greenie
Mar 9, 2005
Anna Maria Island

Never too late ,,lol and yes i know all about egmont and such as the laws of that place as well as mullet key ,, ft.desoto ,, NO DIGGING AT ALL, yeah thats one thing i wont do , however in the water is different. I love to hunt , and theres lots of places all around this area , like a place up manatee river, where as they found an anchor when building the I-75 bridge back some time ago. or the chests of conffds gold that was to be dumped overboard so the union boys did not get it ?? could be another story but don't think so as i know a few older folks before my time have almost got to that one lol ,, took lots of mag reading , cross track errors , fixes and so on , but back to pirates , you know then egmont was called caster /Castor key after the pirate henry then yes. at least my research led me to that , like i said in an earlier post on shipwrecks on book will say one thing as will archives, thats were the fun begins ,lol , research ,, as with Lafitte's ship back in or around 1824 era , it is said to lie in the waters of old Tampa bay a bit sou west of rocky point , or west of the T.A.I ,, if your ever down this way stop in would love to show you some neat stuff, as i am up in mad beach every two weeks, would love to share research as i do with other folk. he also was said to have dumped a trove of brass cannons over board at the mouth of manatee river, but again one never really knows, kinda of like the Jose gaspar deal , was it true or not , was it a myth used to sell real estate back in the day as some will stand true on , or was it real and is there a good treasure up that river,, lol well again. i have found things were lots of folks have searched before me , as back then compared to now meaning technology differs from then and now, some of the things used when lots before me were not of todays tec. oh yes have heard all about cockroach bay and gold thats been found there as well, maybe one day my hunt will bring me there, but for now, ahh will be here were there are blockade runners , like the one that the dredges hit not long ago when restoring a certain part of the beach a little south of where i sit, know someone who got a few of them Goldie's that were blown onto that certain part of the beach from where i sit , lol OK good luck again and look forward to having you this way for some good old research and some boating , well take a cam i have and would love to show you some things here round the area,, some super nice shots of the skyway area, the old silver bar wreck . etc etc , well back to the books ,, don't forget to drop an note if your heading this way ,, boatwatch.. :) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OP
OP
boatwatch

boatwatch

Greenie
Mar 9, 2005
Anna Maria Island

AHHHhhhh Forgot to add a small note of some of the research from where i have gathered some insight of the Tampa wrecks , and blockade runners as well as merchant ships that traded goods for gold silver and such as the cattle barons of the areas eastern parts of the Fla counties did as well, ( only they hid there gold in and around there property lines , : fence posts, areas of streams ,rivers, peace, manatee horse creek, and so on~~~ Research from places as these~~ the Archives of the Indies of seville,Spain~ the u.s National Archives in Washington D.C.~~~~ the Royal dutch Archives from the Hague~ Vactian Library over Thar in Rome ~~ The P.R.O them Thar in London ~~~~~ Some but not all are / could be from 15th -20th centuries ~~~~~~~~~ And of course lets not forget the PEOPLE OF N.O.A.A. and the Army Corp of Eng. ~~~ as well as the nice stuff of keyhole and Terra serve mapping ,, All my friends and fellow divers hunters , and proton dragger's lol , you know who you are, ahhhhhh back to the information highway of technology got to love it , and all the local libraries . Gday~~~ boatwatch~~~~

jsnipr

Aug 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A lot of what you are mentioning about Castor, Egmont Key, Cockroach Bay, etc is mentioned in a book I read in the library in downtown Tampa. Jean Laffite's ship being by rocky point and the dumping of chests in the manatee as well as the cannons. Is it safe to say your research partly comes from this book that I've also read? Pretty much everything you mentioned was in this book and if you did in fact read this book, you might want to talk to Salvor 6 as he knew the author personally before he passed away in 1996. I've been out with salvor 6 a few times in the tampa bay area and to the cockroach bay area. Little cockroach island does have gumbo limbo trees with markings all over many of them and several holes dug around them including a very large one where I heard silver bars were found although salvor 6 says it was a chest and he seems to know more about this area than I do. I have a deep seeking land detector and used it there with no luck but plan to go back many more times in the future. I also own a fisher CZ-20 land/water detector but have never had the chanceto use it underwater "yet". I'm always ready to do some THing on land or underwter.

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Have you and pete gotten together over the years. I live in apollo beach and would like to talk to you about the areas history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread