Standing Liberty Quarters X2 plus a sweet Sterling ring!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres a video of todays hunt:

Hey guys,
got in the car today and headed south, hitting sideroads along the way looking for that perfect home, got a little carried away though as I got about 40 miles away from home:dontknow: anyhow, nice lady didn't hardly listen to my pitch and says sure go ahead, man sometimes that's so easy and other times youd swear im asking for their kidney or something!:laughing7: So I started gridding the back yard first and within minutes I hit a sweet 90 tone at 2 inches! I thought no way but dug it anyway, so glad I did because I got this sweet 1917D SLQ!!!:headbang: sl dirt.JPG front back.jpg the grass was full of roots and there was a lot of shale in the yard, that's the only thing I can think of that kept it so shallow??:dontknow: So I keep gridding along and get a nice 80s tone repeatable and sounding like a silver dime, I pop a plug and to my surprise this baby was in the hole waiting for me!! ring dirt.JPG ring front.JPG ring side.JPG ring closeup.JPG I had it checked out by a jeweler they said its not a real diamond :BangHead: but it is sterling! not too many more targets in the backyard besides a couple spoons and a pocket knife and a decorative door lock cover so I moved along to the front yard and get a nice 90s repeatable tone by a tree root, well after hacking away at the roots for over thirty minutes I was granted a destroyed tin cup:BangHead:, one day that WILL be a silver half!! lol. shortly after the tin cup debacle, I got a nice mid to upper 80s tone at 4 inches so I dig it and it was a small coin spill containing 3 wheats and another SLQ!!:hello2: beat front back.jpg only thing with this one is theres no date and some green crud stuck on it from a wheat being on top of it I used toothpaste to try to remove that but now I got a shiney slq with no date and a green ring on it lol I don't care, Ill take it anyway! my last cool relic was this chrome cap thing with some initials and a date carved in it:icon_scratch: carved.JPG it says "RB Nov 3 1933" pretty neat!

heres the haul! take.JPG that's silvers 25,26,&27 on the year!!

thanks for looking, watching, and HH!!

Last edited:
Upvote 17

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What was the date on the "chrome" cap thingy? You sure that's not silver and not the back of a pocket watch? Make sure if you haven't already. Nice finds by the way, wtg!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the date on the "chrome" cap thingy? You sure that's not silver and not the back of a pocket watch? Make sure if you haven't already. Nice finds by the way, wtg!

it says "RB nov 3 1933", it was roughly carved in it and has rust on back, so no silver:dontknow:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That 1917 is absolutely beautiful. I really like the patina too. When I buy Morgans, I look for that same patina. In case you didn't know, your ring was made by Uncas Mfg. They are a Rhode Island company that made jewelry starting 1918, or 1919....Sorry, my memory is failing me, lol. They had 2 hallmarks. One was used in the first 10 years and then they started using the other. One has 2 arrows pointing in toward the "U" from either side and the other has the single arrow and "U". I have found one of each mark now. They must have been popular in our area. Great hunt and thanks for the video.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet SLQ V1 and with a date Awesome find very nice condition, congrats on all the finds...

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1917 is absolutely beautiful. I really like the patina too. When I buy Morgans, I look for that same patina. In case you didn't know, your ring was made by Uncas Mfg. They are a Rhode Island company that made jewelry starting 1918, or 1919....Sorry, my memory is failing me, lol. They had 2 hallmarks. One was used in the first 10 years and then they started using the other. One has 2 arrows pointing in toward the "U" from either side and the other has the single arrow and "U". I have found one of each mark now. They must have been popular in our area. Great hunt and thanks for the video.

THanks!!, that's a tough thing to research, im glad you got the ball rolling for me.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet SLQ V1 and with a date Awesome find very nice condition, congrats on all the finds...

Thanks a lot!, that was strange to find at only 2-3 inches!, dumb luck I guess, I cant believe how nice the condition is either!!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there ya go! That's some great finds! I kind of think that chrome thing is the back to a pocket watch too. :dontknow:

Good job and thanks for sharing!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're finding so much silver, I think I would invest in a kit. You can get a reasonable one on EBay. I hope when we do our first hunt together, one or both of us get another as beautiful as that SLQ.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would drive 40 miles for those finds! As sweet as the 17-d is, I like the smoothie w/ the green ring. adds character:thumbsup:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there ya go! That's some great finds! I kind of think that chrome thing is the back to a pocket watch too. :dontknow:

Good job and thanks for sharing!
I scanned the hole again and nothing, it could be the back of a watch, hmmm interesting.

Thanks!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're finding so much silver, I think I would invest in a kit. You can get a reasonable one on EBay. I hope when we do our first hunt together, one or both of us get another as beautiful as that SLQ.

Yeah id like to get one.

I hope one of us, or both up the ante a little and get a silver half!:silvertrophy:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would drive 40 miles for those finds! As sweet as the 17-d is, I like the smoothie w/ the green ring. adds character:thumbsup:

Oh thats nothing, lol ive logged almost 200 miles round trip one day seeking that sweetspot
and that 17d is probly my new favorite coin!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah id like to get one.

I hope one of us, or both up the ante a little and get a silver half!:silvertrophy:

I really really like Morgans, lol. If we're gonna hope, may as well make it worthwhile!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really really like Morgans, lol. If we're gonna hope, may as well make it worthwhile!

Ok then, im goin w gold coins as a goal!

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two SLQ's (with one being a Seris 1 no less) in one hunt/yard is pretty good!! Good thing you stopped and asked.

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, What a score. What an awesome SLQ and cool ring! Congrats,

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two SLQ's (with one being a Seris 1 no less) in one hunt/yard is pretty good!! Good thing you stopped and asked.
thanks, yeah this spot just had that look!

Wow, What a score. What an awesome SLQ and cool ring! Congrats,
thanks! I was bummed to hear the ring isn't a real diamond but its still pretty nice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread