Stanley No. 4 Plane: Part it out or sell it whole?

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

So I'm going through all my stuff and trying to get a bunch of stuff on the bay because I'm moving in a couple months, and I ran across this plane that I got last year. I think I had saved it because it looks nice, but I'm moving into an even smaller place than I have now, and my room already looks like a warehouse as it is, so onto the internet it goes. I know we talk a lot about parting things out here, so I figured that I could try my hand at it. I think old stanley planes are pretty sought after, but I also think the Bailey No. 4 is pretty darn common, so I'm torn. I also feel kind bad tearing something apart hat has survived so long whole, but I suppose that doesn't really matter.

So yeah, part it out or sell it as one? Also does anyone know what parts I should sell? The wooden handles are in pretty great shape, overall its pretty much flawless except for a few dents and scratches and some old sawdust buildup, so again I'm pretty torn. Thanks in advance for the help!

DSCN0132.JPG DSCN0133.JPG DSCN0134.JPG

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B..I would see what the good ones were selling for, and post it with a high reserve and maybe see if someone bites...

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would sell it whole. A lot less hassle, and if you're moving, I'm sure you want to move it pretty quick.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stanley #4's and #5's are commonly found. I don't think the parts would be in demand enough to piece it out. By the look of the front knob and the brass adjusting knob, it doesn't appear to be older than the late 40's or 50's. I'd sell it intact and would feel good if it sold for $25-$35.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would sell it whole. A lot less hassle, and if you're moving, I'm sure you want to move it pretty quick.

Yep, good call. Just put it up for $24.99 + shipping, we'll see how she does. Sales have been in the doldrums though, so I'm not that hopeful.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Bill is right, that #4 is about as common as sliced bread. Selling this plane as one piece was the right decision.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of right now it has 2 watchers, which isn't too bad. I'm curious to see if it sells in the first round or takes a little while.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sell whole or with another in a lot. Stanley #3,4,5's are all common. Do like the one guy said 24.99 and let it ride. Ive sold a lot of planes in the past and I quit buying common everyman garage stuff. Look for rare uncommon name's. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread