Star trek cards

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I was digging through a box marked 25 cents and pulled out these 2 sealed boxes of cards. Should I open them and sell packs? Cherry pick the inserts ? or sell them as sealed boxes :dontknow: I don't know much about them but there has to be some proffit in my 50 cent investment.

Thanks Ace Villa-v

Attachments

• cards 1.jpg
    cards 1.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 532
  • cards 2.jpg
    cards 2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 536

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I typically try to stay away from cards and the like. Too many variations, too mass produced, too dependent on trends/fads. However, my diamond in the rough for cards is the Magic the Gathering collectible card game. That is one collectible cards series that has stayed valuable and actually gone up in value over the life of the card game. I pick up Magic cards any time I find them cheap enough. The secondary market is largely manipulated by a few big dealers who keep the prices stable and high so there is either a lot of room for profit or absolutely no profit so you REALLY have to know what to look for. Good luck.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jerseypicked said:
I typically try to stay away from cards and the like. Too many variations, too mass produced, too dependent on trends/fads. However, my diamond in the rough for cards is the Magic the Gathering collectible card game. That is one collectible cards series that has stayed valuable and actually gone up in value over the life of the card game. I pick up Magic cards any time I find them cheap enough. The secondary market is largely manipulated by a few big dealers who keep the prices stable and high so there is either a lot of room for profit or absolutely no profit so you REALLY have to know what to look for. Good luck.
yeah store I work in sell MTG cards.. sure would like to find a black lotus card... lol just do a ebay search to know why...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
creeper71 said:
jerseypicked said:
yeah store I work in sell MTG cards.. sure would like to find a black lotus card... lol just do a ebay search to know why...

The Black Lotus is indeed the most valuable card in the series but there are soooo many cards in the set that are worth $20 or more that it is worth it IMO to know what to look for as these $20 cards can OFTEN be found in people's old collections from when they were kids.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
ahh magic is a great game to play! very fun and strategic! i used to have a bin full of them before my mom threw em out ='[

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jerseypicked said:
creeper71 said:
jerseypicked said:

The Black Lotus is indeed the most valuable card in the series but there are soooo many cards in the set that are worth $20 or more that it is worth it IMO to know what to look for as these $20 cards can OFTEN be found in people's old collections from when they were kids.
I picked a 5000+ mtg cards on freecycle it had one common beta an the sets started with arabian nights but it was all commons an uncommons they took the moxes, dual lands an rares out...dang it!!

OP
OP
acevillav

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
oh well :'( at least I got them mucho cheap. I'll toss'em out for 4 bucks a box . Not a gold mine $ is $ ;D Thanks for the MTG info I'll look for them :icon_thumleft:

Ace Villa-v

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm constantly buying / selling mtg. It's extremely profitable! There are MANY cards worth $20+/ea, and most people don't know or just plain don't care! Last month I spent about $680 on buying various collections, and I'm still selling on eBay and various websites. Approaching $2000 in sales.. :) Not a bad profit margin there....

No black lotuses yet! My best was an Unlimited Edition Time Walk that was worth around $250 at the time. Same collected yielded 5 or 6 "dual lands" worth $50/ea. (Paid $40 for the whole collection... :laughing7:)

That said.... Stay off my magic the gathering turf!!! hahaha

GL to ALL

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
DFW_THer said:
I'm constantly buying / selling mtg. It's extremely profitable! There are MANY cards worth $20+/ea, and most people don't know or just plain don't care! Last month I spent about $680 on buying various collections, and I'm still selling on eBay and various websites. Approaching $2000 in sales.. :) Not a bad profit margin there....

No black lotuses yet! My best was an Unlimited Edition Time Walk that was worth around $250 at the time. Same collected yielded 5 or 6 "dual lands" worth $50/ea. (Paid $40 for the whole collection... :laughing7:)

GL to ALL

MTG is next to impossible to buy on ebay (for a profit). Your best bet is craigslist but even then, good luck. StarCityGames pretty much has the entire secondary market cornered which is actually a good thing because it keeps prices high and stable for collectors who want the most out of their collections. The best way I have found to make money on MTG is to offer to buy directly from players and collectors who lose interest.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jerseypicked said:
DFW_THer said:

GL to ALL

MTG is next to impossible to buy on ebay (for a profit). Your best bet is craigslist but even then, good luck. StarCityGames pretty much has the entire secondary market cornered which is actually a good thing because it keeps prices high and stable for collectors who want the most out of their collections. The best way I have found to make money on MTG is to offer to buy directly from players and collectors who lose interest.

Yep! That and the occasional ex gf or ex wife that is getting rid of his things. hahaha.. It is definitely possible to buy MTG on eBay and make a profit, it's just harder work. I'll divulge my secrets for the right price... ;D I bought a lot of about 4K cards last month for $100 on the feeBay. (Most would think that was steep, b/c bulk common/uncommon is typically worth $10/1000 cards) but this lot contained 3 force of wills, and, well, some other goodies... Collection was probably worth 300-400 as a whole.. :D

They're out there!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Why is there no smiley slapping his forehead?!? I do run across MTG cards at yard sales, on occasion. You can't be an expert on everything, but if $20 cards are reasonably findable I'll invest a little time to see what's what. I bet that if you laid a "Black Lotus" card down during your average garage sale, less than 1 in 100 would know it is valuable. Compare that to gold, sterling, etc. and the advantage is in the knowing. Thanks for posting acevillaav, sorry your thread was hijacked. I think you did good for your investment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions