diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at your Ebay items last night. You've been busy with 400 some odd listings! I haven't listed anything for well over a month now myself. Figure i'll wait till Sept. maybe. Good to see you back. :thumbsup:

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Turtle, glad to see you back and congrats on passing your board! I wanted to thank you for the drafting board lamp idea you posted a while ago. I saw your post a few days ago, and then found one just like yours at a local flea market the other day. It was an outdoor flea market, and it was starting to rain, so they were really looking to move stuff and I got the lamp for $1. It's up on ebay now with a $9.99 bid and a couple of watchers. Thanks for the idea, both on the lamp and how to describe it!

Here's a link to it if anyone wants to see how it does. Thanks again for the assist!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190566060599&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been able to do any shopping in the past 45 days so I have no new finds!

diggummup said:
I was looking at your Ebay items last night. You've been busy with 400 some odd listings! I haven't listed anything for well over a month now myself. Figure i'll wait till Sept. maybe. Good to see you back. :thumbsup:

Yeah I added over 100 video game strategy guides to my listing which put me back up around 400 items. I can't wait for the holiday season to get here, I may have to hire someone to help me lol.

Treasurekidd said:
Hi Turtle, glad to see you back and congrats on passing your board! I wanted to thank you for the drafting board lamp idea you posted a while ago. I saw your post a few days ago, and then found one just like yours at a local flea market the other day. It was an outdoor flea market, and it was starting to rain, so they were really looking to move stuff and I got the lamp for $1. It's up on ebay now with a $9.99 bid and a couple of watchers. Thanks for the idea, both on the lamp and how to describe it!

Here's a link to it if anyone wants to see how it does. Thanks again for the assist!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190566060599&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Nice job on the lamp! I love those union made stickers on them old lamps. If you can find them with colors that are more unusual like pink, teal, reds, aquas ect. you can get a premium out of them.

If anyone is interested I just posted my blog with some recent sales.

It feels good to have my brain back.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Welcome back! Moved a bunch of items over the last week, maybe it was the crappy weather?
Gearing-up (collecting) for the holiday season too.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Turtle, congrats on your accomplishment! Where can I find your blog? Thanks, MN

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am honestly just curious on this and I will probably get bashed for this, but here goes...

Does your blog actually make any money / or should I say, make more money than you are selling your items for each month? I also read that you or a relative was working on writing an e-book?

Why would you want to ENCOURAGE others to buy/sell the same kind of items that you are selling? I only say this because before long, the type of items you sell will become saturated with people just giving them away. The items you sell are rather common finds and can be found for cheap in many places. If you teach too many people how to sell them in the manner that you are doing you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

The reason you can get so much money for these items is because others just don't know how to list like you do. Sure, there are a number of people that specialize like you do, but it's just not well known. I'm not going to lie, the stuff you are selling is stuff we used to throw out at all of the auction houses I used to work for. Nobody wanted it, nobody buys it. It's still like that today.

All of these lamps / syroco / mirrors, etc can be had at most auctions for under $5.

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLLYWOOD-REGEN...140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e635e4454

I am going to an auction on Friday that has a set of 3 of these. Odds are I can pick them all up for under $15. Heck, in the past I've seen auctioneers STRUGGLE to get $3 for them.

I know you will say you aren't greedy, etc., it's better to be generous and give. But one day, all of your goodwill will bite you in the rear end. Just trying to help you out.

I'm sure some others here can attest to how much money you USED to be able to make on ebay. There was a time you could slap ANYTHING up there and it would bring money that would shock you. Then everybody started bragging about how much money they were making and entire collectibles categories just became saturated. What was selling for $80 with ease would have a dozen people selling it for $8 a year later.

Just be careful if you want this to continue to be fun and profitable. You've already taught dozens of people or more on this forum alone about hollywood regency, etc that weren't aware of it before. I know I wasn't, that's for sure. Neither was my buddy. Now we both actively seek out these items to list them for stupidly high prices. There are currently 2,346 Hollywood Regency items listed. Before long you will see 12,000 listed and there won't be enough buyers out there to keep up with supply. Then people start lowering their prices until the prices meet demand.

/end rant

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
I am honestly just curious on this and I will probably get bashed for this, but here goes...

Does your blog actually make any money / or should I say, make more money than you are selling your items for each month? I also read that you or a relative was working on writing an e-book?

Why would you want to ENCOURAGE others to buy/sell the same kind of items that you are selling? I only say this because before long, the type of items you sell will become saturated with people just giving them away. The items you sell are rather common finds and can be found for cheap in many places. If you teach too many people how to sell them in the manner that you are doing you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

The reason you can get so much money for these items is because others just don't know how to list like you do. Sure, there are a number of people that specialize like you do, but it's just not well known. I'm not going to lie, the stuff you are selling is stuff we used to throw out at all of the auction houses I used to work for. Nobody wanted it, nobody buys it. It's still like that today.

All of these lamps / syroco / mirrors, etc can be had at most auctions for under $5.

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLLYWOOD-REGEN...140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e635e4454

I am going to an auction on Friday that has a set of 3 of these. Odds are I can pick them all up for under $15. Heck, in the past I've seen auctioneers STRUGGLE to get $3 for them.

I know you will say you aren't greedy, etc., it's better to be generous and give. But one day, all of your goodwill will bite you in the rear end. Just trying to help you out.

I'm sure some others here can attest to how much money you USED to be able to make on ebay. There was a time you could slap ANYTHING up there and it would bring money that would shock you. Then everybody started bragging about how much money they were making and entire collectibles categories just became saturated. What was selling for $80 with ease would have a dozen people selling it for $8 a year later.

Just be careful if you want this to continue to be fun and profitable. You've already taught dozens of people or more on this forum alone about hollywood regency, etc that weren't aware of it before. I know I wasn't, that's for sure. Neither was my buddy. Now we both actively seek out these items to list them for stupidly high prices. There are currently 2,346 Hollywood Regency items listed. Before long you will see 12,000 listed and there won't be enough buyers out there to keep up with supply. Then people start lowering their prices until the prices meet demand.

/end rant

I am not going to spend too much time on this, but it's nice to know that there is someone out there who is concerend about my ebay sales.

I just point out things that are selling on ebay. I do get paid to help people to sell on ebay, but I don't teach them to sell the exact things that I sell.

I do not specialize in anything, which means I can adapt to the changing trends. Finding new items to sell should be a daily process because eventually the Hollywood Regencys and the Danish Moderns are going to dry up no matter what, and they will be replaced by Turtlesque, Bochie or some other made up trend.

I also enjoy helping other people become sucessful at selling on ebay, what is wrong with that?

I grow tired of hearing about the " Golden age " of ebay where you use to be able to sell a paper clip for $800.00. I was never a part of that time and I am glad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread