State of emergency!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I hope everyone in the hill towns stayed home today and you get your power back soon. Us Folks in the valley stayed a tad warmer and only got the slush and muck, not the ice you folks in the hills have. Good luck and stay safe!

Gov. Deval Patrick has declared a statewide State of Emergency to deal with the ice storm and heavy rains that hammered the state overnight.

At a news conference Friday morning, Gov. Patrick said the storm knocked out power to over 350,000 homes and forced the closure of roads and schools throughout the state. The western and central parts of the state were the hardest hit areas. National Grid says it could take days to restore some power to some areas.

About 500 members of the National Guard were called out to help with clearing debris and cutting down tree limbs.

Several communities in Hampshire and Franklin counties have also declared a State of Emergency. Stay tuned to 22News for complete coverage of the storm.

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
Wow ...Sorry to hear about the troubles in the western part of the state.
But here on the cape The winds and the waves have cut the beaches pretty deep .Im dressing up nice and warm and already fired up the batteries.Looks like it could be a fun night Here

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Wow! Sure hope they get their electric back up quickly! Glad you are still warm sis!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, ya'll take care of yourselves & each other out there!!!

Bran <><

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Towns juat 10 minutes from us are shut down, no getting in, no getting out, the roads are impassable with all the trees and wires down. Basements are flooding. 2 degrees colder and we would have been right in the mix.

Good luck on the beaches Bradgny!

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=14pt]Hello to all my friends,

The ice storm of December 11-12 was a real winner. It knocked out power lines all over the place. Central and Northern Worcester County looks like a war zone.

We were without power for 8 days. The temp in the house was a nice cool 46 degrees. No heat, no electricity and no hot water. Not much fun to say the least. Sleeping with layers of clothes on wasn't so bad until you had to get out of bed. Then reality set in once again.

Shelters were open in a couple of places in town where people could get a hot meal and a warm place to sleep. We finally got our power back on Thursday evening the 18th at 7:24pm. Eight days without power is really a wake up call. You don't realize how important heat and electricty is until you don't have it, especially in the winter.

The town of Princeton was hit so bad that they are going to have to rewire the ENTIRE TOWN from the ground up. Talk about bad luck. The problem is the location of some of the homes. In one instance, once you turn on to the side street you count 60 telephone poles before you get to the first house. But the problem is that 30 of those poles have been snapped and have to be replaced before they can be rewired agin.

I've taken some pictures of the after math here in my neighborhood. Our house didn't get touched because over the years I took down all our trees. The only ones in our yard are on the perimeter of the property and can wait until spring to be cleaned out.

The following pictures put a new meaning on the phrase "Ice Show". You can view them at:

http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/qq203/matman1313/ice/?albumview=slideshow

Happy New Year to one and all.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Wow Matt! :o I am glad you are safe and finally got your power back! That must have been a tough ride. Thanks for taking the time to share your pictures.

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Holy Cow!!! That looks just like our place here in Florida after the hurricanes, minus the ice and National Guard! Hope all is well now!

vicki

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
I am in Leominster. We lost power for "only" 2 and a half days. I was at my wits end with that. Can't imagine 8 days. My coworker lives in Sterling. He got his power the same day as you Mat. It is crazy.

Still cleaning up the mess in my yard and the neighbors. Got my new generator though for the next outage.

Went out to "the woods" yesterday and this is what I saw. (click thumbnail for larger picture)

Going to be an interesting time next spring in the woods.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions