Beach digging in winter?

berkshiregold

Nov 15, 2008
Berkshire County Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Minelab Equinox 800
I'm from the far western part of Mass. in the hills and was wondering if anyone from the cape could tell me if the beaches are diggable during the winter. I've never been to the shore during the cold months. I would think that the salt wouldn't allow the sand to freeze. I'm used to concrete ground from December to April!! Thanks! :icon_scratch:

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
The cape is huntable all winter for the most part even on land until like feb. let me know if your ever down here and ill show you around

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
Most, if not all, of my hunting is done at the beach during the winter. The sand between high and low tide is still diggable. The upper end might freeze for a short time, but rarely. Bring tissues for a runny nose.

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Yes, the salt water beaches are diggable during the winter time. At least the area between low and high tide is doable. Probably snow and or ice on the dry sand, though. I just returned from a trip to Cape Cod. I would forget going to the Cape if I were you. I inquired at the ranger station, and the ranger gave me a map and said, "All the green shaded areas are off limits to metal detecting." Basically the whole Southern side of the cape is off limits. I guess you could detect a few town beaches, but I'm never going back there. There are plenty of other beaches around here to go to. A side note, I haven't had any luck at salt water beaches. And I use a Garrett Infinium Land and Sea. But, best luck to you, remember to dress VERY warm for winter detecting at the beach (wind). tip: I wrap my wool socks in plastic bags. If you get your feet wet out there during the winter time, you are really screwed! You should probably wear water proof boots. Best luck, try and pick a reletivley warmer day if you are going to the beach in the winter time. :-\

berkshiregold said:
I'm from the far western part of Mass. in the hills and was wondering if anyone from the cape could tell me if the beaches are diggable during the winter. I've never been to the shore during the cold months. I would think that the salt wouldn't allow the sand to freeze. I'm used to concrete ground from December to April!! Thanks! :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
berkshiregold

berkshiregold

Nov 15, 2008
Berkshire County Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Minelab Equinox 800
Thanks for the info Massbaycolonist. I did go to the cape in November and I stopped by the visitors center. I spoke to a ranger that told me the same thing. ANY part of the national park is strictly off limits. It even extends into the water. I don't know how far. He said you can sometimes get permission from some towns to hunt their beaches. I can imagine the wind can be fierce on the coast! We were there on the 26th of Nov. and you couldn't have asked for a better day. It was beautiful!! I think I'll wait for higher temps.. Stay warm. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread