STATE parks try and make a diffrence.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I received this letter today From TSP's.
Dear Albert Patty,

I am reaching out to you because you have been a supporter of Texas State Parks. As you may know, record drought and heat, devastating wildfires, and a drop in visitation have led to a critical situation for state parks.

As a result, we need $4.6 million to offset this shortfall and help keep these state parks open. Thankfully there are three simple ways to help:

First, make a tax-deductible donation online or by mail.

Second, write in a donation of $5 or more to state parks on your vehicle registration form when you register your motor vehicle by mail, at your local county tax office, or online in counties which offer online payment.

Third, and most importantly, visit a state park with your family or friends because visitor fees pay for about half of all state park operating costs.

Thank you for this opportunity to communicate with you. Please be assured that we will not abuse the privilege. I hope you will act now to help keep your state parks open for all Texans to enjoy. Because Texas State Parks won’t be the same without you.

Sincerely,
Carter Smith
Carter Smith
Executive Director

P.S. If you would like to keep up with what is happening in our state parks, I invite you to subscribe to free email updates of your choice, including the State Parks Getaways e-newsletter and much more

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
I immediately went to TSP's FB site and responded this way.

http://www.facebook.com/texasparksandwildlife

the wed site.

I spent well over 300 dollars this yr in core of engineer parks and private parks on lakes that had State parks on them also, so I could metal detect in the low lakes and swimming areas,. I dont Go to State parks as they dont allow it. I picked up BAGS and buckets of trash and hauled it off. i covered my holes on the beaches, disturbed NO wildlife, or vegetation,,,, I would of paid a fee to hunt state parks with my metal detector and still would,,,, to bad for state parks.

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Please do the same.. IN FACT it is a good year to Hit your State reps and let them Know what they are missing.

It wasent Just the weather IMO , it was also the economy. I personally would BE GLAD to pay for a Detecting license In state parks, Like a hunting license.. Use your own words,,, lets make it live,,,, now's a good opportunity.... and Texas isn't the only state with this problem...

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Albert, it might be worth a shot, but I think they want their cake and eat it too. Texas State Parks have long been closed to metal detecting and getting them to change their minds is going to be tough.
However, if enough detectorists approached them with the idea of a permit.....well just maybe.

E-mail is forthcoming.

C

Cappy Z.

Albert? :laughing9: Reminds me of Seinfeld's... Cosmo......

God Bless you TexanConnection!

Stickman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Won't work...not enough of us detectorist to make a difference...."money wise"...........and that's the name of the game! Had my dealings with the state parks.........on another "project" i was dealing with several years ago, and majority of the $ ....would go to the state...........the deal was "nixed".........couldn't come out?

They have to make a profit,..on any kind of project.......... and it would have to be substanstial for them to approve such!..............don't know the answer...............but being as their is over 100 state parks,..............might could work out something where you could hunt just for the "fun" of it......and donate to the cause....'as Such", with what ever you find...............Don't seem fair that you could not keep some of the "finds" and make a split of some kind, but they will make the rules i assure you.

MOST ALL OF TEXAS IS PRIVATELY OWNED................May have to just ...."live with it til things change!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We personally contributed Over 300.00 In Parking / fees!!! Last year to our Local Parks Departments and Traffic Enforcement( minus the Ticket ) And now our local Parks Are IN A FININCIAL CRISIS!!!! AGAIN

Not to Include Food, Gas, Etc Etc

Note to Whom It Concerns Are Even IRS Never Mind

Half of the Parks don't Even Get Mowed Weekly Or the Trash Picked Up!!! Turn the Water On Once In Awhile!!!!

It takes the DOG walkers ( They area A special Breed ) Thanks for the Help!!! Such wonderful People They Will Pick Up Anything that will Hurt FIDO!!! Glass Metal, Plastic ECT ECT Except Occasionally Poop

Metal detectorists coming out early Like me will to Pick up BAGS OF trash to Keep it Up!!! 12 Pack On top of the Sand No Problem The Same Buried Under the Sand And You Will Hear US For Miles!!!

qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added comments to their FaceBook page also. Let's keep the heat on them !

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I would gladly pay a fee or for a permit to be able to hunt lakes in Texas State Parks.....

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
For the last 30 years when times were good, Texas State Parks expanded(over built), they built pull through sites with 50 amp service for giant gas guzzling motor homes and built big fancy fishing piers with lights for night fishing etc. Heck they even have bathrooms with imitation marble. Now that the economy is off a bit and gas prices are up, the attendance is down, they can't support what they built and they are hurting. A little restaint during the good times and saving for a rainy day would have gone a long way to avoid whats happening now. Just my rant on the subject.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread