Statewide policies on md?

madcow_number_6

Dec 28, 2007
Russellville, AR
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 4
Are there any statewide policies on metal detecting in Arkansas? I know national forest land is out of the question (knew a ranger a while back, he said you can swing all you want but no digging.), but what about state parks? or city parks? or that empty lot 2 blocks away? What about the sandbars along the Arkansas River? is that considered State or Federal land? I'm fairly new to the hobby, only been to my parents yard and the local community center by their house. I just want to avoid getting bugged by the police for my ignorance. ???

randyinarkansas

Nov 2, 2007
Fayetteville
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250
As a rule, the policies are pretty laxed for Arkansas for now. Most city and county parks won't require you to get permission to hunt, but make sure you don't make a mess of the place and fill in all holes. In Fayetteville (where i live),for the most part doesn't require permission to hunt city owned property (within reason), but any vacant lots privately owned will require permission. I have found that most people will let you hunt their property if you ask, some property owners like a little clarification to make sure your not going to dig massive holes in their yard, but most or generally open to the idea. Good luck.

randyinarkansas

Nov 2, 2007
Fayetteville
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250
Forgot to say that most state and federal parks are off limits, some will let you hunt the beach areas, just ask the ranger or park attendent for clarification. The sand bars along the Arkansas River should be fair game for anyone as long as it's not on state park property.

OP
OP
madcow_number_6

madcow_number_6

Dec 28, 2007
Russellville, AR
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 4
Thanks guys.
I've got a few places I'd like to go when its not dark and/or rainy, and I always like to know what I'm getting into. When in doubt, ask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread