Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 8" T-Rex which has an angles handle. I prefer the angled over straight handle, it just seems easier to dig for me

Attachments

• image-37960045.jpg
    image-37960045.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 163

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I prefer the angle on the 720i. I couldn't get used to the 90 although I know a few guys that like it. I sprayed the foot piece with orange fluorescent paint so it can be seen underwater without any problems.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Angled handle only for me! Think about it this way; when you want to dig a hole, the bucket has has to be at an angle. So either the bucket is angled with handle now face up (angled handle), or the bucket is angled with the handle leaning way forward (straight handle).

excalIIuser

Greenie
Feb 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is just like Fletch's scoop, T-Rex. The angle works great for me. HH John

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the straight handle myself, but it's all I've ever used since I bought it in 2012.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STL8: When I shallow water hunt with the Excalibur 1000, I use the Sunspot Classic 8 which has the 90 degree handle. This is the strongest of chucks scoops, and is the most stable as the handle goes almost to the bottom of the stainless steel basket (8” W, 12” L, 5” H) with ½ inch holes for rapid draining. I prefer the longer 54” wood handle as I often use the extra length to push back to shore if I get in too deep. I also use it like a staff to balance when detecting. As it is difficult to pinpoint with the Tornado 10” Double D search coil, wider scoops are preferred.

It is easier and more efficient to sift with a 90 degree handle scoop as each time you hop the scoop up to you it sifts thru the more numerous holes along the length of the basket. Usually, the scoop is completely sifted by the time it is waist high.

QUOTE=STL8;3886793]After much research I've decided to pop for the Stealth 720i scoop. The only remaining question is 90 degree handle or angled. I'm guessing the 90 degree handle setup will give you more torque, but I'm wondering if anyone with the angled handle can chim in with the benefits of this setup? Thanks and HH.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 720i with the angle handle. I haven't used the 90 degree scoop, but
it seemed to me (before buying) that the angled handle would allow me to dig sand
without having to push the handle way forward when positioning the scoop.

After using it for quite a while now, I think that was correct. It's comfortable because
of the angle. I also bought the extra "lift assist" handle, which I strongly recommend.
It makes it much easier to lift a scoop full of wet sand. I wouldn't want to use this
scoop (or probably ANY scoop) without one. The strain on the hands and the back
would be much more without it.

Just my opinion. For all I know, if I used a 90 degree scoop for a few hours, I'd like
it just as much or more. But I doubt it.

Tom

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in the water, sometimes up to my neck...I don't know how you could dig with a 90 degree handle in deep water...waist deep or less would be no problem.

OP
OP
S

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments. Before I posed the question, I was leaning towards the angled setup and I think I'll go that route. I don't currently have a water machine (borrow friends Excal) and am limited to the wet/dry sand with the E-trac, but another year like last and the Excal will be part of my arsenal. Thanks TallTom for the comment on the 'lift assist'. Will certainly get that as well to save the back from the strain. Can't wait to get the scoop and jettison the shovel I've been using in the wet sand. Talk about back strain!!!

OP
OP
S

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments. Before I posed the question, I was leaning towards the angled setup and I think I'll go that route. I don't currently have a water machine (borrow friends Excal) and am limited to the wet/dry sand with the E-trac, but another year like last and the Excal will be part of my arsenal. Thanks TallTom for the comment on the 'lift assist'. Will certainly get that as well to save the back from the strain. Can't wait to get the scoop and jettison the shovel I've been using in the wet sand. Talk about back strain!!!

OP
OP
S

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at that, a stand up double! :tongue3:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mention wet sand. The 720 is a beast to use in the wet sand. If Im only hunting wet sand I use the RTG 6inch aluminum....I only use the 720 in the water.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mention wet sand. The 720 is a beast to use in the wet sand. If Im only hunting wet sand I use the RTG 6inch aluminum....I only use the 720 in the water.

I will agree with that! That thing IS heavy when it's full.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not a problem for me as I am not a one scoop does it all type of guy.

Like a golfer who uses different clubs, I select the metal detector and scoop (it is important that they match) that I will use dependent on the conditions I expect and the target(s) I hope to retrieve.

In the zone (chest to chin deep) a scoop with a 90 degree angle would be a poor choice as it would be too difficult to use efficiently. At best, your face would be in the water, it is more likely you would have to be completely submerged to retrieve the target assuming you are able).
Most likely you will have to return latter with a more aggressive 20 degree angle scoop such as the Stealth 720i . You can dig deeper as you do not have to shift your body forward to dig and it has a longer basket.

A longer 54 inch handle would be ideal as you can use it to push you back to shore if you get in too deep. For other than a casual exploree, You will need lead weights on a quick release diving belt to hold your position while digging, plus a snorkel and mask to see what you are doing. Even in tropical waters, a wet or dry suit will be required to keep warm enough to work efficiently in this zone.

I hunt in the water, sometimes up to my neck...I don't know how you could dig with a 90 degree handle in deep water...waist deep or less would be no problem.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have both scoops and they're awesome in the water. The only negative would be the foot pad on the original stealth but it's not that bad.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider the foot pad an advantage, though you have to be a little more careful when stomping on it to dig as they are smaller in size than the back of the scoop. This footpad acts as a pivot point and enables the scoop (sunspot classic with 90degree angle handle) to be used like a steam shovel; all you have to do is move your foot slightly higher and press down on the foot pad to break the basket free from the bottom without putting any strain on your wrist or hand.

In the water, after breaking it free hop it straight up in small steps - sifting on each scoop.

On the beach, drag it back after breaking free then rotate the basket 180 degrees - move your hand toward the basket and lift dumping the contents of the basket with minimal lifting. To isolate the target kick portions of the pile out the pile with the side of your foot till you see the target of detect it when you sweep the coil over the spread out.

It takes a little getting used to, and is awkward at first - if you are used to a 20 degree angle scoop, but it is well worth the effort
, as it takes most of the strain off your hands and your back.

If you are using a detector which is very sensitive, you might want to use a Garrett Pro Pinpointer (with care as it is not water proof) to isolate those annoying smaller targets.

I have both scoops and they're awesome in the water. The only negative would be the foot pad on the original stealth but it's not that bad.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto!

Except, I have added a stainless steel tip to my RTG 6 inch Aluminum scoop to more easily cut through mud/shells on wet sand (scoop and dump)
I will also use the RTG on dry sand (scoop and sift), however, I prefer smaller size holes to prevent items smaller than a dime from falling through when sifting.

Last edited:

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, it digs great in the wet sand but a full scoop is heavy.

I agree that it's pretty heavy when it's full of wet sand, but I've been able to handle it OK.

However, it's also not too tough to dig slightly shallower than a full scoop each time, so you reduce
the amount of wet sand you have to lift. I like having the option of digging a full scoop or
a partial scoop (maybe two-thirds full), depending on the situation and how tired I am.
A smaller scoop doesn't give you the option of digging the equivalent of a full 720i scoop.

But the full wet scoop (out of the water) definitely makes the lift assist handle desirable.

By the way, I bought the 48" handle with mine, in spite of the fact that I'm tall (6'6", which
is about 198.5 cm, for you metric people). I bought the shorter handle because I didn't
think the 54" handle would fit in the trunk of my car. I was right. The 48" handle allows
it to fit with only a couple of inches of clearance. I've only been hunting so far in wet sand
and very shallow water (up to about one foot deep), but the shorter handle has been fine
for that, for me anyway. Maybe when I use it in chest deep water or deeper, I'll regret
having the shorter handle, but so far, so good.

--Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread