Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that it's pretty heavy when it's full of wet sand, but I've been able to handle it OK. However, it's also not too tough to dig slightly shallower than a full scoop each time, so you reduce the amount of wet sand you have to lift. I like having the option of digging a full scoop or a partial scoop (maybe two-thirds full), depending on the situation and how tired I am. A smaller scoop doesn't give you the option of digging the equivalent of a full 720i scoop. But the full wet scoop (out of the water) definitely makes the lift assist handle desirable. By the way, I bought the 48" handle with mine, in spite of the fact that I'm tall (6'6", which is about 198.5 cm, for you metric people). I bought the shorter handle because I didn't think the 54" handle would fit in the trunk of my car. I was right. The 48" handle allows it to fit with only a couple of inches of clearance. I've only been hunting so far in wet sand and very shallow water (up to about one foot deep), but the shorter handle has been fine for that, for me anyway. Maybe when I use it in chest deep water or deeper, I'll regret having the shorter handle, but so far, so good. --Tom
When Im water hunting I will sometimes come out and work the wet sand for a stretch...I do just like you said and take partially full scoops with the 720...the 48" handle is plenty long enough for me in deep water and Im 6'3"...with the original Stealth the handle goes through the basket all the way to the bottom and you loose 6" of the handle length...I think they offer the 54" for tall people that use the original Stealth design.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm late to the party, but I have and prefer the 90degree Stealth. Strongest by far due to how the handle attaches (I tend to be hard on scoops).

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tall Tom:
I am glad that you identified that the 54" handle is too long to fit in the trunk of your car.
Sadly, this limitation is true for many cars, including my daughters which I use to drive to further away beaches (more reliable and fuel efficient).
This would not be a problem, if the 48" handle was designed so that it could be extended and additional six inches for chest to chin deep shallow
water hunting where the extra length is needed.

I would definitely convert to the newer more costly composit handles for this capability, even if some weight was added to the composit handle
where it needed to be reinforced. Hopefully, there is enough demand from other treasure hunters to make it worthwhile for Chuck looking into.

I agree that it's pretty heavy when it's full of wet sand, but I've been able to handle it OK.

However, it's also not too tough to dig slightly shallower than a full scoop each time, so you reduce
the amount of wet sand you have to lift. I like having the option of digging a full scoop or
a partial scoop (maybe two-thirds full), depending on the situation and how tired I am.
A smaller scoop doesn't give you the option of digging the equivalent of a full 720i scoop.

But the full wet scoop (out of the water) definitely makes the lift assist handle desirable.

By the way, I bought the 48" handle with mine, in spite of the fact that I'm tall (6'6", which
is about 198.5 cm, for you metric people). I bought the shorter handle because I didn't
think the 54" handle would fit in the trunk of my car. I was right. The 48" handle allows
it to fit with only a couple of inches of clearance. I've only been hunting so far in wet sand
and very shallow water (up to about one foot deep), but the shorter handle has been fine
for that, for me anyway. Maybe when I use it in chest deep water or deeper, I'll regret
having the shorter handle, but so far, so good.

--Tom

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes - One can dig partial scoops.
and dig partial scoop after partial scoop all day.
The damage occurs when one gets excited and emotion gets in the way.

The stainless steel basket of the Stealth 720 is 6 inches high. In comparison the basket of the classic 8 is 5 inches high. Plus I can slip an on edge penny between the V ish bottom of the 90 degree angle handle and the bottom of the classic 8.

Your logic, for the two different length scoops appears correct, the two different lengths
being need driven. Especially since the taller handle on the Stealth 720 is clumsy out of the water.
The longer handle might work better on land for you than me as as I am one inch shorter.

However, I have found that the extra six inches provides a margin of safety that I need to push me back to shore, when I get in too deep. Further I need that extra length to recover targets when I am I in upper chest to chin deep water.

When Im water hunting I will sometimes come out and work the wet sand for a stretch...I do just like you said and take partially full scoops with the 720...the 48" handle is plenty long enough for me in deep water and Im 6'3"...with the original Stealth the handle goes through the basket all the way to the bottom and you loose 6" of the handle length...I think they offer the 54" for tall people that use the original Stealth design.

Last edited:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 90* handle on my Stealth.
To me it's like having the best of both worlds.
In shallow water hunts that's how I use it. 90*
When I am in deep water I put the lift assist handle on this way and now it works like an angled handle.
I have been using it this way since I bought my scoop and have never seen anyone else post that they use it this way.
So from now on, I will call it the Ace method. ;)

image-125260669.png

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes - One can dig partial scoops. and dig partial scoop after partial scoop all day. The damage occurs when one gets excited and emotion gets in the way. The stainless steel basket of the Stealth 720 is 6 inches high. In comparison the basket of the classic 8 is 5 inches high. Plus I can slip an on edge penny between the V ish bottom of the 90 degree angle handle and the bottom of the classic 8. Your logic, for the two different length scoops appears correct, the two different lengths being need driven. Especially since the taller handle on the Stealth 720 is clumsy out of the water. The longer handle might work better on land for you than me as as I am one inch shorter. However, I have found that the extra six inches provides a margin of safety that I need to push me back to shore, when I get in too deep. Further I need that extra length to recover targets when I am I in upper chest to chin deep water.
The 720 handle is too long and clumsy for me too in the wet sand...I love the long handle in the water though.

adikd2spd

Mar 9, 2014
long island
Detector(s) used
V3i- dd coil and 950/beach hunter/stealth 710 scoop/ sovereign elite waterproofed...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use the 720 i think the angle works best for me... as far as handles i bought a composite shovel from home chepo and ground the rivet off the shovel hammered the rivet out and boom 9.9 9 lightweight composite handle light and comfortable all tho if you hunt rocky spots and are not careful you can/i have cracked it... so yea it cost me 20 bucks so far, i have a 2nd oak handle for when i go to that beach now :P

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My choice would be the 720i angled for the water but with the shorter handle as I never am in that deep of water!
I use the angled Stavr scoop for both sand and shallow water hunting! image.jpg

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the lift assist mounted on one of Pats Scoop on Utube " Metal Detecting Hawaii"
Now I know why!
Thanx for the info - I like it.

I have the 90* handle on my Stealth.
To me it's like having the best of both worlds.
In shallow water hunts that's how I use it. 90*
When I am in deep water I put the lift assist handle on this way and now it works like an angled handle.
I have been using it this way since I bought my scoop and have never seen anyone else post that they use it this way.
So from now on, I will call it the Ace method. ;)

View attachment 958773

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread