Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T-net member steelheadwill's " aka Herbie's " streak of good finds off the flats inspired me to get my butt off the couch today and hit the low tide . I already had a site picked out on a local coastal stream. I had found this site on an earlier scouting trip , A fairly good sized flat where they used to make and fire bricks along the bank from the mid 19th century itto the early 20th century . A lot of bricks and clay firing tubes along with a fair amount of pottery and glass are visible along the bank of the stream right down into the flat, "aka" ( the dump ) . I would see if I could gleen a few non ferrous Items out of it . It started out slow with little to show after an hour of scouring the flat . Then I made an eye find of two of the bone ( I guess they are bone ) buttons Laying right on top of the muck . I ended up eye finding 4 of these total. Near these I find the spoon and then my favorite find of the day the heart heel plate. My first . I have been wanting one of these for my relic displays and this one seems to be in fine shape regardless of the harsh conditions of the flat. Next I find a Great seal overcoat button that looked pretty good till I picked it up and it dissolved in my hand . you can see the remains of it in the pics. The big copper or brass ornate hinge bracket was a pleasant surprise and was my deepest target of the day 8 to 10 inches down in the muck . It has a strange sparkly patina to it . Some other finds / big copper rivit / some bracket thingy / lead fishing weight / ect and then I get a pretty good signal and I look down to see a militia style brass button sitting right on top af the muck . It looked civil war period and I was quite pleased it stayed in one piece when I picked it up. . When I got home and gave it a little lemon bath and I was shocked to see it was a state of Maine civil war militia Buttton . It is in rough shape but way up here away from the action I'll take it ! I ended the day with the early fuel engine delivery part marked Pat Jany 15 89 and I found the leather gasket and the largest oyster shell I have ever seen ! I had a fun afternoon ! Thanks Herbie ! MaineRelic.

Attachments

• IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1622.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_1630.JPG
    IMG_1630.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

great hunt for this time of year :headbang: sweet heel plate and Maine button

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt MR and you finally dug your Maine militia button :headbang: 8) Ironic ! :o I found the twin brother of your ornate brass hinge a few weeks ago . Nice "steelheadwill inspired" mud flat hunt . Very cool heal plate 8) :thumbsup: dawg

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
great hunt for this time of year :headbang: sweet heel plate and Maine button
Thank you ! It was my only option at this point of the winter ! When I first started detecting 3 years ago , This is the start of my fourth year . I never thought It would be a year round hobbie Yet I will have hunted every month of the year last year and it looks like this year will be no different ! M.R.

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
Nice hunt MR and you finally dug your Maine militia button :headbang: 8) Ironic ! :o I found the twin brother of your ornate brass hinge a few weeks ago . Nice "steelheadwill inspired" mud flat hunt . Very cool heal plate 8) :thumbsup: dawg
Thanks Dawg ! It felt good to get out ! And yes that Maine CW Militia button and the heart heel plate made my January ! I was in full swing by the end of febuary last year . I Hope this year as well ! I wish you many small and faint 2 way signals this season and beyond ! MaineRelic

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the spoon and the brass hinge plate! :notworthy:
Very nice finds! Kudos to Herbie! :icon_thumright:

Dave

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great early finds :icon_thumleft: that copper lady of the evening heel plate i love :laughing9: i have 2 of those with the heart , man that is a stewing oyster for sure 4 more you gotta meal :thumbsup: Good hunt Jim

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great variety Maine. :thumbsup:
I'm loving that heel plate.
Congrats,
MM

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Steelheadwill Inspired flats hunt nets me a couple firsts ! Maine Militia

Nice finds! I really like those heal plates with designs. HH

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Stuff MaineRelic !
Super Muffin button :hello2:
Still looking for one of those :notworthy:
Glad to see that heelplate, First I've seen :wink:
As you see, conditions of different items from the mud can vary.
Occasionally you pull a well preserved piece.
I know that sparkly finish, when you first expose them they shine like crystals,
then fade somewhat after exposure to the air.
like they were exposed to an acid bath.
I learned a lot from your post, always thought those buttons were plastic :'(
Congrats on your Finds :hello2:
more Great Digs to You! herbie

dumpdigger68

Dec 24, 2009
central Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! You were lucky to get out. I've been thinking about hitting flats around here but the Penobscot and tributaries are froze up tight. The only sign of low tide being the jumbled up piles of ice. I'm almost desperate anough to throw a handfull of pennies out back just to hear a "beep" but hate the snow too much to do any extra shoveling! Happy hunting and hope you get out again soon!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice hunt! have ya dug a clover heel plate yet? cool lookin hinge half :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread