Sterling Belt Buckle worth more than scrap price....

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For two brothers growing up with the family's first Black and White TV in the mid 1950's, there were not that many shows to choose from on just two channels in the 1950's. While we had our small share of cap pistols and holsters, and many times playing Cowboys and Indians with others, for me the TV shows of Roy Rogers were far less interesting than those of Buck Rogers!!!

Well after the "Crockett spurs" find, the very next day, again I got pulled back to those times of yesteryear. At an early morning estate sale, my wife found a large 2-3/4" wide by 3-1/2" silver oval Western Belt Buckle inlaid with both coral and turquoise .... She picked it up because it was stamped "Sterling" on the back. Along with the belt buckle, we found a total of 25 grams more in Sterling jewelry.... Cost? She paid $2 for the jewelry and $3 was marked on the belt buckle.

On the way home from that sale and two more, we stopped at a country-style café for a fresh hot breakfast. As we waited, both of us discussed how we were going to try and pry all the long but thin stones from the heavy buckle. We took turns guessing how many grams the stone-less Sterling buckle would weigh.... Hopes of $25 to $30 in scrap silver were possible........

After getting home, I took my trusty lighted magnifier and went over the big buckle, front and back. It was then I saw a name stamped below the "Sterling" mark. "T Moore". I did a quick Internet search and found several made by the same fellow.....

Tommy Moore Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Cluster Buckle Sterling Navajo Gallup | eBay

Right now, the cowboys and Navajo Indians are winning, and fifty-five years later, Roy Rogers is offering far more exciting adventures than Buck Rogers....
emo1.gif

Bill

Attachments

• Sterling silver  Tommy Moore belt buckle finds for May 31_14 004.JPG
    Sterling silver Tommy Moore belt buckle finds for May 31_14 004.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Silver finds for May 31_14 005.JPG
    Silver finds for May 31_14 005.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 191
  • More Western silver finds for May 31_14 006.JPG
    More Western silver finds for May 31_14 006.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 154

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty, Id wear that one! If you decide to sell for scrap, Im your buyer and you don't even have to pry those stones out ;)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe you were actually thinking of scrapping that buckle. That's insane! :BangHead: That's $100+ on a bad day! Closer to $200 with the added red coral imho. I'm glad your senses got the better of you.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digg & Jersey,

From the time we found it to the time I found the maker, I had no experience with Southwestern jewelry. There's so much of the China made fakes around here, I've never taken much interest in the stuff to know the difference. It wouldn't have crossed my mind to think of such belt buckles' costing so much and the only reason my wife picked it up was because the buckle was stamped Sterling....

So many different fields of interest in a good garage sale, I'm still on a learning curve. The "Polo" and "Rolex" baseball caps' resale worth still amaze me..... You both would be proud of me to know I found a bronze 1950's diesel locomotive bell complete with the compressed air mechanism that makes it ring.... Just don't know what it would bring around this North Central Texas area.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Makes me think that when I get ready to scrap my silver, I am going to put the pieces up here. May have a piece or two.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me think that when I get ready to scrap my silver, I am going to put the pieces up here. May have a piece or two.

If there is another mark besides 925 or sterling chances are its worth more then scrap. Infact if someone can wear it and its not dented or broken. It's worth more then scrap. I make fair amout of money off them jewelry scrap lots. But if there is a name or number other then the normal markings, it's probably not scrap worthy as far as jewelry goes.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
China or not, a buckle like that is an easy hundred if it's Sterling. Not something you see every day, very cool.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billjustbill- When you get ready to move that locomotive bell, let me know. My dad retired from the railroad with 40 years under his belt. He may be interested.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
If you notice your stones all match. Now touch your cheek with a couple of those tourquoise stones. If real they will feel cold and you have a buckle worth a bunch of money. It's an easy way to tell real from fake at shows and flea markets...

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billjustbill- When you get ready to move that locomotive bell, let me know. My dad retired from the railroad with 40 years under his belt. He may be interested.

Here are two pics of the locomotive bell. Apparently, it had been in a storage shed for more than 20 years. The red paint on the interior of the bell appears to be original.

I also found a large wooden handle railroad wrench. No pics of it, yet. It's 16" long, with 4-1/2" long jaws of an adjustable "F-wrench", made by Bemis and Calls. It has " R. I. Lines" stamped on one of the jaws.

Would consider a fair offer for one or both.... You're welcome to P.M. me.

Bill

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    588.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 105

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill,

Anything Railroad related is highly in demand especially from the short line railroads....I did 35 years working for a major Railway in Canada so I know a bit about the industry....lol....

Heck Johnny Cash even wrote a song about the Rock Island line.....here's a link for some of their items.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea..._adv_prop=image&fr=moz35&va=rock+island+lines

Here are two pics of the locomotive bell. Apparently, it had been in a storage shed for more than 20 years. The red paint on the interior of the bell appears to be original.

I also found a large wooden handle railroad wrench. No pics of it, yet. It's 16" long, with 4-1/2" long jaws of an adjustable "F-wrench", made by Bemis and Calls. It has " R. I. Lines" stamped on one of the jaws.

Would consider a fair offer for one or both.... You're welcome to P.M. me.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions