Sterling fork... need some help

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I found this fork today in a box of items purchased at a garage sale. I know its sterling, but can't make out the last hallmark, I'm kind of new at the hallmark deal so I'm not sure what the mark is also does it matter which direction the lion faces? Most others I have seen it is facing in the other direction. Thanks for any help.

ForumRunner_20120727_210414.png

Luis S

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't worry about the hallmarks, they probably aren't British. I say this because if it were and had hallmarks, it wouldn't also say sterling on it. Gorham maybe...

OP
OP
E

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Very cool, thanks for the info. You learn something new every day.

Luis S.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the pat. date and the small amount I can see, i'm guessing the pattern is "Chantilly" (which is also the most famous of the Gorham flatware patterns).

koolaidsmile

May 17, 2012
Yes I agree I actually have a spoon in this pattern with the same markings!

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

OP
OP
E

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cool, now I now even more, that is why I come to this forum. The box was a dollar, the other stuff was pretty much junk. A few stamps my daughter wanted and a few magnets and this

ForumRunner_20120728_204031.png

ForumRunner_20120728_204105.png

other spoon shown, it only says Holland in the back. Meant to post earlier but had to run.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a silverplated souvenir spoon. With souvenir spoons (and most others), no silver hallmarks marks usually means plated.

james231

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hallmarking marks should be placed on the silver what you want as a manufacture and with purity of the silver, Because silver is too much soft for functional use, alloys need to be added. Mostly Individual countries established their own silverware standards. Only good quality silver should be used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread