Sterling Score at Thrift Store!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been a lurker for awhile and the last week has given me reasons to finally post! I felt my usual need to spend my lunch break at the thrift store across the street from my job. After 20 minutes of cruising aisles, a new cart is rolled out and no one noticed it. It's full of nice silver plated pieces and I can't help but be drawn to them. Then I notice several pieces of what appears to be silverware! I just grabbed it all and put it in my cart. I grabbed a couple of other things and head to the cashier! I told her the silverware wasn't armed with a price and she responds " All flatware is 59 cents each." I was trying to calm my nerves as I had checked a few pieces and they were marked "Wallace Sterling". I ended up with 56 pieces with only one being silverplate. It was almost a complete service for 8! Spent about $35!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
image.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds more like a mega score. Heck if it be me I'd have lunch in that TS every day. Complete sterling service of 8 set sounds like a find well worth in the 4 figure range.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics please! I am leaving my pants down in anticipation!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wishing Star

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! I agree with Tamrock, I would make it a point to check out that store everyday!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Goodwill! I hit several up weekly and my wife hates it…well hated it. I sold the set for $721.00 on eBay and bought her a purse. With SOME of the money. Thanks folks, now I need to buy a Powerball ticket!
Nice score! Was this a small thrift store or a chain?

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great score and thanks for sharing your story

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You should buy a lottery ticket! Did you weigh the pieces by chance?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent score! Congrats on the purchase and premium on the sell of the silverware! For in the future, keep in mind that you could have purchased the missing pieces from the set, probably off of eBay along with an appropriate period Silverware case (and possibly the correct case for the set), then you could have sold the complete set for a lot more.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread