Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Met up with Cjon for some much needed detecting. We decided to do some door knocking that I have never done before. We didn't make many stops, because of me being uncomfortable, and the rain. We were able to sneak in a hunt just before the rain started and detected two small fields with no luck before we decided to head over into yard. After swinging the yard for a bit. Cjon finally pulls a wheat and I was still empty handed. A huge old stump just off the house had my attention. So I headed over by it and right away a 1915 D wheatie. Swung my coil again and another wheat. So I got thinking that maybe there was a clothes line there at one time. I did a 180 and headed straight towards the house and boom. A solid signal. At 4 to 6 inches a Webster Co. Sterling Thimble. Guess I'm going to have to get used to this door knocking thing, cause I definitely owe Cjon. Thanks buddy!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 26

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one of a long list of finds it seems everyone but me has dug. I haven't found any type thimble yet. I have been to that site twice now with Chris and it hasn't failed to produce yet. I told him the large field across the road in front of the house would probably give you that LC you're looking for. For some reason we have only done around the house so far. The old fellow said the house was moved from the field I am talking about in the 1800's, so I believe it will hold some nice finds. We all should make an effort to liberate whatever it holds soon.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver!!! Yea, I got a couple of flat tin thimbles... they break when you try to try to round them out... Would give my left one to find a silver thimble... awesome find!

OP
OP
Nepa-Will

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of a long list of finds it seems everyone but me has dug. I haven't found any type thimble yet. I have been to that site twice now with Chris and it hasn't failed to produce yet. I told him the large field across the road in front of the house would probably give you that LC you're looking for. For some reason we have only done around the house so far. The old fellow said the house was moved from the field I am talking about in the 1800's, so I believe it will hold some nice finds. We all should make an effort to liberate whatever it holds soon.

We tried those field and came up empty handed, except for Chris's 1971 dime. Not even good junk there. I will have to look at the old maps and see where that house was exactly. I found that thimble just a few feet off of the house. I think I was really intrigued by the big steep mound like hill behind the house :icon_scratch:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous thimble, and glad to see one not crushed!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You tried the field that runs along the creek? I think the old guy said that's why they moved the house. It floods sometimes. No way you 2 did the whole big field in a couple hours!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You tried the field that runs along the creek? I think the old guy said that's why they moved the house. It floods sometimes. No way you 2 did the whole big field in a couple hours!

We wandered about, almost radio silence

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just don't want my incredible LC finding ability to get in that field, do you Chris?:laughing7:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver save. I'd like to dig one of those someday.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm a little like you. I don't feel comfortable asking to dig in some strangers yard. Nice finds,.
Met up with Cjon for some much needed detecting. We decided to do some door knocking that I have never done before. We didn't make many stops, because of me being uncomfortable, and the rain. We were able to sneak in a hunt just before the rain started and detected two small fields with no luck before we decided to head over into yard. After swinging the yard for a bit. Cjon finally pulls a wheat and I was still empty handed. A huge old stump just off the house had my attention. So I headed over by it and right away a 1915 D wheatie. Swung my coil again and another wheat. So I got thinking that maybe there was a clothes line there at one time. I did a 180 and headed straight towards the house and boom. A solid signal. At 4 to 6 inches a Webster Co. Sterling Thimble. Guess I'm going to have to get used to this door knocking thing, cause I definitely owe Cjon. Thanks buddy!

View attachment 1234261 View attachment 1234262

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty one at that, congrats!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY WHIPORWIL NICE SILVER THIMBLE FIND .....

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We tried those field and came up empty handed, except for Chris's 1971 dime. Not even good junk there. I will have to look at the old maps and see where that house was exactly. I found that thimble just a few feet off of the house. I think I was really intrigued by the big steep mound like hill behind the house :icon_scratch:
I think that " big steep mound like hill " is where they bury the people that knock on their door:laughing7:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey,you may think I'm joking, but Chris and I did one permission this year and I was on all 4's, trying to find the target, neck exposed...
...I get this feeling of being watched, look up...
...there is this tall, thin man with an unnerving grin standing there silently...
...I take off my headphones, stand up and we have a pleasant conversation for 5-10 minutes 'till the guy leaves to " go milk up the road ". I think he really was going to go check on his big steep mound thing...
...cause later I found the skeleton of some poor animal lying right beside the house. The bones had obviously been lying there for quite some time. They were undisturbed with no flesh left on them or fur visible. Who leaves a carcass just feet from the back door by the house?
On some of our permission hunting trips, I say " No, not there. I hear banjos...".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread