Still learning...but its fun!

jtshombre

Jun 23, 2007
Montana Prairie
Detector(s) used
White's M-6
Still learning...but it's fun!

I went on vacation for a couple of weeks, and left my detector at home. I was like a junky going through withdrawal by the time I got out last Wed after work and found my 1st silver in awhile. Hit the baseball diamonds and found a 1950 Silver Canadian dime, and a wheatie, along with some clad. I was happy, went out the next day, and found a 1961 Silver rosie, and somemore clad, and 2 more wheaties. Last night I found 3 quarters & 15 pennies, two of which were wheaties & and a 1941 Canadian penny. As long as it's producing I'll be back tonight! I'm envious of you guys find box plates and colonial coins, but the prairie hasn't been settled that long.

I'm still not having any luck in the nickel dept. tho, I know I've got the M-6 in coin shooter mode, but there is so much trash at the baseball fields I'd be digging all night, there's three seperate baseball diamonds, so lots of ground to cover, and lots of trash. Oh well, it's fun, take care...

Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Re: Still learning...but it's fun!

When I went on vacation this year, I left the detector at home, too. Not again, I found alot of areas I would have liked to try for a couple hours. nickels can be tough, as they tend to fall into the pull tab range, but so does gold. They say dig it all and I may start like that, but some areas it's tough to stay with it.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

If you want to find the gold, you've got to dig the trash. Some times I just get too lazy or tired and just go for the coins. "They" say, you will dig 1000 pull tabs for every piece of gold you find......and I believe "them". One thing about it though, when you go for the gold, you really clean the place up.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clean the place up, as hinted above.

After 10 years on some of my patches your be luckly to find a half iron nail.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

For some unknown reason I bet you won't leave your detector home again while your on vacation. Glad to see your hanging in there, this can be a trying hobby at times but the rewards are just to good to give up :D. HH and keep 'em coming.

Desertfox

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Not bad for a greenhorn!!!

clad_badger

May 7, 2007
Lithia Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 Prizm IV Mine Lab 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hello hombre

I also have an M6 which I have been using for about three months,upgrading from my PrizmIV My nickel count has multiplied (nearly 200). The way that I find nickels is that if I have a VDI of 18 or 20 that locks on in both directions, then about 85% of the time it is a nickel. I hunt in the 7 tone mode and listen for the approx. tone and when I hear something close I look at the VDI. I hope this helps you and that you enjoy you M6 as much as I do. Keep searching and your finds will get better and better. Happy Hunting.

C.B.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread