Visit finds from TN.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm back from my trip to Manchester, TN. Had a very nice visit with the in-laws on their farm.

It was triple digit temps everyday, so my hunting was quite limited. I was hoping to find some silver around the house since it was built in the 1950's but no luck. The electric lines, new gas lines, old spectic tank under the clothing line, etc. didn't help at all.

There was also suppose to be a Victorian Inn that was by the railroad track which abuts the property. They claim that the place was knocked down and pushed out behind the barn, but I didn't see any evidence of foundations anywhere nor any coins older than 1966. Just wasn't worth weed eating in that heat and bugs. My Aunt in law will do some more research for any future trips. Historical society is suppose to have a picture of the place, and maybe they can figure out where it was on the property.

Did find some old toy cars by a oak that is at least 150 years old. Nice, big old tree. But the new power lines to the barn run right by it. Either those lines or a buried pipe was causing a line of bleeps (and swear words) all the way to the tree. ;)

It was still quite fun for the 3-4 total hours I was able to spend.

HH.

Attachments

• TNFinds.jpg
    TNFinds.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 0

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I like finding those old cars, and it looks like you found some other neat stuff too.

treasureguy

Jul 24, 2007
central wa st
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
glad you had fun, still have not found a complete car myself, what is that in your profile picture? old coin you found? where

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Nice car-jeep-truck what ever it is.. needs to be in a collection museum.
Love the automobile!

OP
OP
Sheldius

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasureguy said:
what is that in your profile picture? old coin you found? where

Good eye. My avatar is a coin I found while metal detecting an archaeological site. It was right on the surface, which is why we were able to collect it (although I didn't get to keep it, obviously). When I looked down because the MD was indicating a nonferrous hit, I thought it was a black piece of pottery. The coin was actually sitting mostly on edge. I picked it up and just went "Oh, that is what the detector was hitting". I'm kind of understated like that. LOL. Only the third coin found there in all the years of excavating. The next summer I found a silver denari from the Republic period (I just couldn't get a good photo of that one :-[ ) and 2 other copper coins in the backfill dirt. We were trying to use the MD's to find sites. They got sick of all the iron I was pulling from the backfill dirt. :)

The coin is a bronze Roman coin called a dupondius from 163-164 AD. The reverse (side shown) is Victory. The emperor on the obverse (not shown) is Marcus Aurelius.

A similiar one is currently selling on eBay if you want a better picture:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MARCUS-AURELIUS-DUPONDIUS-VF_W0QQitemZ130141259196QQcmdZViewItem

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions