Garrett Ace 250 And Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
yes slow down ur swing. real slow like 3 sec right to left and 3sec back. and keep going out maby where u have been has been hunted alot the silvers may be few in that area i know for me i can go a few hunts without any and then hit 3 in one hunt it goes like that sometimes also ive pulled silver from holes that read pt on my machine and once i got all the junk out of the hole i rescan a get a sweet high tone and bang silver just like that so keep at it u have a good machine there its only a matter of time patience and a little persistance

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on finding wheats, that means you are doing things correctly so far! Sometimes the silver just isn't there! Here are a couple pics of my total finds for the last 12 months...

b2 (800x530).jpg _DSC0001 (800x530).jpg

Shows about 3,000 clad coin, nickle, and penny targets. And adding in an estimated 1,000 "iffy" signals that were junk that makes about 4,000 targets I have recovered in the past year. Doing the math means this year I'm getting one silver coin approximately every 650 dug holes, (and I been at this since 1984!). I'm basically just a park and ball field hunter, some folks put in a lot more work, travel, and research than I care to do so they get a lot more rewards. Other folks live near battlefields, old historic towns, and popular beaches, and some are just darn lucky...persistence is the biggest tip you can get, and have fun diggin' wheats, you will find good stuff because there is lots of good stuff in the ground!...happy hunting!

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the input. I love the hobby. I wish I would have gotten into it a lot younger. 37 now and what got me started was mine detecting in Iraq. That machine was a lot heavier than what I am using now. And I had to be really patient there. It was a matter of life or death lol. I just wish there was more people in my area of Pittsburgh pa metal detecting. Or if there is I wish I knew them to learn. The best thing for me is getting out there and it seems all my problems go away. Was thinking of going and lea ing cards on doors of old houses that Whites has on there web site that you can print asking permission to hunt there property also. And again thanks for the input. And welcome a lot more to learn the best way to hunt and to have fun doing it.

YUKONBUCK

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2011
Wasilla, AK
Detector(s) used
1270, CZ70,CZ7, Gold Bug 2, CoinStrike, 1212, Whites GM3
If all you want to find is silver then go to old rich estates and focus on the deep coins. Silver can be rare to find if you're not in a place where lots was lost. It may have been a poor area back when silv was in circ. Your detector isnt missing them...they're probably just not there.

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up!! It took me 2 months to find my first, and I was going every day! It made me wanna strive to learn my machine better and I did! I still don't find many silvers, but when I do, it's worth all the holes I've dug! Good luck and HH!

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Thanks for your Service, I was in the Navy in 1965 thru 1969. I picked up metal detecting in 1979 and most of the detectors back then could not find a coin on top of the ground in North Carolina. Boy were those impressive green machines that cost over $300.00. Yes I finally learned how to go slow and use the machine and found alot of Silver Coins. Now I use a few different Minelabs and have been back to 2 of those sites recently and haven't found any good coins. I'm trying to learn the E-Trac and have no problem with the Excalibur,-goldnugget

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a whites eagle spectrum. Got it for father's day and found lots of clad and two rings. But not one silver coin. Also found lots of wheaties also. Am I doing something wrong? I go out for like 2 to 6 hours at a time. If anyone can help me with any suggestions I would greatly appreciated.

If you are finding wheats, then there is silver in the area. First, ensure you are getting a proper ground balance. This cannot be over emphasized. It's not difficult to do, but many people just slop their way through it, assuming the spot they choose to balance over is "fine". After you turn on the detector, blow through the ground balance routine and select any program you wish. Which one doesn't matter. Flip the trigger switch forward to pin point locked, then sweep the ground slowly, listening for ANY change in sound (headphones are a good thing to have, too!). Once you have selected a spot with NO indication of metal, go ahead and load the program you intend to use (I recommend Jewelry & Beach), then initiate the ground balance function. Some people endorse balancing twice, rather than once. I'm not entirely sold on the idea, but, it doesn't hurt anything if you do it twice.
I have listed the ground balance procedure first, because it is the single most important thing you can do to enhance your detector's performance, however, it is also the last thing you do. When you are preparing to hunt, here are some settings to check, and my recommendations:
1. Ensure you are accepting VDI's for the silver range
2. Set your threshold so that you can barely hear it - too loud, and deeper target's weak signals can't punch through it, too quiet, and the volume of the weak signals is also reduced
3. AC & DC Sens - the default settings are fine for now, but soon you will be bumping these values up. Increase them a bit at a time until the detector becomes unstable, then back of a few notches
4. S.A.T - on to start. As you gain proficiency, you may want to turn it off. As SAT maintains the threshold, there is a risk it is blocking out the very weak signals as "noise"
5. VCO - on. This makes it easier to pin point.
6. Modulation - off. Later you may want to turn it on to search for whisper signals and null signals. But for now, having all targets respond with equal amplitude will help.
7. GEB Auto trac - if you have this on, then turn on Trac View, so you know what's going on with your ground balance, and turn Trac inhibit on, as well.

The final thing you can do to improve your luck is practice. Then practice some more. Study your manual with detector in hand. Understand each of the settings, then go outside and practice what you have learned.

Hope this helps!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Post reminds me of one of my earlier posts. I just couldnt understand why i was finding Wheats, and even Silver and Gold Jewelry, but couldnt find a Silver coin to save my life. Then 9 months later ( which i hope you never have to wait that long) I found my first Silver...and have found AT least 2 a month since then 3 years ago. Its all about where you are at..and as mentioned, slowing down you swing. I was actually always in the wrong spots when i first started.

well I wish you the best!!

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
The silver coins are not littered in the ground like pennies.It is a challenge to locate and dig a silver coin.You may dig 15 -20 wheat pennies before hitting a silver coin.This ratio is discussed in the book-The urban treasure hunter.You are doing nothing wrong.But if you want to speed up the process of finding silver coins,ask yourself;why have the disc set low,cut the disc up past tab,and you will locate silver more quickly.I hate giving all my secrets away.

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow all of your input was great ty for all your help I wish all you guys where in my area so I could hunt with you. And pick your brains lol.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The above posts are all great tips! Location is a huge factor in finding silver coins. Most of the parks around here have been hit hard, so silver only comes up on occasion. I have some friends that concentrate on house tear down lots in areas built before 1950. They find 3-5 silver coins per lot, along with wheats and clad. Middle class neighborhoods work best for them.

Location, location, location!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread