Stock dog vs night critters

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My Aussie shepherd is our constant companion on the farm and wherever we go . House dog as well . We have a 30 foot line to let her out on for the 'last potty trip' before bedtime . Keeps her
'honest' late in the evening . We have coyotes , bobcats , stray feral cats and dogs that come around after dark . Also got a family of flyin squirrels in the soffit on one side of the house .
Let her out about 9 last night on the line and settled into my chair for a while . Normal barking for a time and then a devastating screech and a thump as she hit the end of the line .
I hit the floods and charged out the door with a shotgun and spotlight . Leash and broken collar ,
no dog ......... WTF :icon_scratch: No dog . Started sweeping the perimeter and calling . Heard a
whimper and found her cowering in the bed of my pickup . No visible signs of harm . Petted her up
and coaxed her into the house for the night .
At first light this morning , I found a muddy left paw print on the face of the electric fence charger
at the corner of the house where the flyin squirrels live . Just a trace of mud on the output terminal
(9,600 volts) of the charger .
Tonight , she didn't seem too concerned about them flyin squirrels when she went out . :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL! We raise sheep, turkeys and chickens and Jake, our Kerry Blue Terrier, has had a run-in with the electric fence we used to keep for Boer goats. Took him once to learn.

Surprisingly, he "plays" with the feral cats (and Otis, our volunteer feral barn cat who lets himself into the sheep pen in the winters) and will chase them only as long as they run. We have five house cats and he knows they are not food. But when he hackles up and growls I know a coyote or several is/are near. I don't pay much attention when he barks, but I sure do when he growls.

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Charlie P. (NY) said:
LOL! We raise sheep, turkeys and chickens and Jake, our Kerry Blue Terrier, has had a run-in with the electric fence we used to keep for Boer goats. Took him once to learn.

Surprisingly, he "plays" with the feral cats (and Otis, our volunteer feral barn cat who lets himself into the sheep pen in the winters) and will chase them only as long as they run. We have five house cats and he knows they are not food. But when he hackles up and growls I know a coyote or several is/are near. I don't pay much attention when he barks, but I sure do when he growls.
Yup , me too . Ya gotta listen to what they are telling you . That's what had me boogered
until this morning when I could 'read' the news .

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have Jack Russel Terriers.. ^four of them¸. They guard the farm pretty good. When we have a bear come onto our farm, they all gang up on it pretty good. They charge, bark and run all around the bear and drive it off from our apple trees.

Our one major concern is cougars.. We lost one dog to a cat .. But the dogs are getting wiser about them now too.

Coyotes and wolves are no problems... at least nothing that a 25-06 cannot solve ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets not go down that road. I've seen cats give good accounts of themselves . . .

Like Moe - he was a mess when we found him after a coyote attack and ened up loosing a leg. He must have got in a lucky shot to the eye or had a guardian angel. Happily, by the way, the loss of a leg seems not to have slowed him down much!

HPIM2485.jpg

HPIM2715.jpg

DSCN0243.jpg

Then there's Teasel, our Maine Coon. When he gets tired of Jake, our terrier, he draws a line that, so far, Jake yields to. If you can stand off a terrier bred to kill badgers you've got your trash talk tuned just right.

HPIM1197.jpg

HPIM0019.jpg

When Teasel boxes our other cats you can hear the "whomp" of his paw and it usually knocks them off balance. NEVER uses a claw, however. In 15 years he's never scratched anyone to my knowledge. Unless he's sitting on your lap and thunder booms. Then it's iodine time. Went 17 lbs at his peak but he's getting old and scrawney - bless his heart.

But, in truth, Jake could chop one of our cats in half with a bite. There would be no contest - he's bigger and faster.

DSCN0200.jpg

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a cat that Bruce Lee's spirit trained! As Bruce Lee was also known for his powerful punches, he was also known for high jumping super powerful kick ability! My cat can whip any dog as you can see one of his powerful kick abilities against my neighbors dog!!!!! :laughing7: Notice how much power the kick has? See how slobber and teeth are knocked out of the neighbors dogs mouth? :laughing7: See how the neighbors dog's body is forced out of posture? :laughing7: Well, the neighbors dog also suffered several fractures in his vertabre in his back due to the force of the kick twisting the neighbors dogs body as you can plainly see as well! :laughing7:

The neighbors dog suffered a broken and dislocated jaw, broken cheek bone, left eye socket fractured, (that has remained crossed eyed now), and several teeth knocked out! The dog has/had to suck up is dog food through a straw for several months and recovered, but still has back problems and doesn't walk right, but has admitted himself in to an insane asilum due to mental issues with cats now!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: My neighbor isn't happy with me!!! :tongue3:

Attachments

• dogkick.jpg
    dogkick.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 353
  • dogkick.jpg
    dogkick.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 351
S

stefen

Speaking of electric fences...

Years ago I was looking at a Peruvian Paso, and the breeder
leaned into the pipe corral fencing, which has hot-wires between the horizontal rails (to keep the horses from rubbing their manes off), and her upper anatomy (plural) came into contact with the hot wire...

WOW!

SCREAMED HOLY TOOKY...

Jumped back and melted into whimpers....

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
stefen said:

leaned into the pipe corral fencing, which has hot-wires between the horizontal rails (to keep the horses from rubbing their manes off), and her upper anatomy (plural) came into contact with the hot wire...

WOW!

SCREAMED HOLY TOOKY...

That is one of the most unique electric fence mishaps I have ever heard of . As a gentleman,
did you offer to kiss the booboo('s) to make it/them feel better ?

S

stefen

truckinbutch said:
stefen said:

WOW!

SCREAMED HOLY TOOKY...

That is one of the most unique electric fence mishaps I have ever heard of . As a gentleman,
did you offer to kiss the booboo('s) to make it/them feel better ?

Like to say I'm an ole hand at comforting...
Never kiss and tell ;D

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a week ago my grandson went to feed the chickens and heard some squawking and yiping as he approached the pen area. As he rounded the corner he saw 2 medium-sized dogs getting their butts kicked by the rooster. The rooster doesn't get in with the hens, he just patrols the outer perimeter of their henhouse and pen area. He lost some feathers on his back but he's doing fine. Usually my son's dogs keep strays away but they were all in the house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread