Stone discs

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I picked up a number of nice stone discs in the hard stone I recently purchased. I've been to several auctions over the years and have never seen so many discs in one collection.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

This next one I believe is a very nice cone.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda looks like glacial weathering, although the bottom right picture does look interesting.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Kinda looks like glacial weathering, although the bottom right picture does look interesting.

I don't think for a second that that is what formed or wore any of these to the point they are now. Trust me.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Stone disc? Are they different than a mano?

Well these are not all mano's that's for sure, some are though. I have no idea of all the uses possible Jon. I believe some of these were used to wear grooves in hammers and axes, others used as pecking stones.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well these are not all mano's that's for sure, some are though. I have no idea of all the uses possible Jon. I believe some of these were used to wear grooves in hammers and axes, others used as pecking stones.

I must say that, while I can see the obvious wear (to me ) on those stones I can also understand why someone else might not recognize the rub/grind edges and face wear on some of those stones, it's often hard to get pictures to bring out what's obvious in hand, no doubts here. Nice artifacts.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
dont i see obvious wear around the band of most of those? a color change from the natural skin? i pick up stones like those by the pocketful on the beach...same size and shape...but no sign of wear like those look to have.

S

stefen

Quite commonly found water worn stones from Mexico to Washington along the coast...probably similar elsewhere as well...

Also sold by the ton from many stone quarries for landscape purposes.

Artifacts may be stones but not all stones are artifacts...

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont i see obvious wear around the band of most of those? a color change from the natural skin? i pick up stones like those by the pocketful on the beach...same size and shape...but no sign of wear like those look to have.
You need to take a closer look at the center photo first row .

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a mixture in those pics. I do believe I see a couple of game stones in there. Manos and hammers to. I wonder how many grinders in that round shape didnt trun into game stones after use and shaping while grinding. Probably just me but I think many tools were reused as the stages changed in the artifacts from use. Then used for a different purpose. Nice quito

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions