Stone foundation some state was Mission

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I don't see any "cut" stone in the Burbridge photo. Or tooling marks on the example in Frank's own photo.
That kind of worked stone would suggest a far different type of construction, rather than the misc. rubble stone we see in the photo. Natural cleaving can leave flat surfaces at differing angles as well. The Hohokam and Salado lived in and built many structures in the Tonto Basin/ Four peaks area, as well as the QC/ Gold Canyon area.
Shouldn't be any problem for someone to drive out to the Burns Ranch and get a photo with a matching background (skyline).

Most of the Salado sites I've seen were in a defensive position. This site is not. The site is on state trust land. Make sure you have a permit to drive out there for that photo.

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try the little ice age test on that stone.

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is obviously a laser cut rock trail marker made by aliens indicating the direction of travel to the nearest stargate. If you'll get a dendrochronology check on that nearby tree we'll know when they were here.
Of course as this site often proves, 'they' are still here among us. ;)

The tree ? Maybe so.... do they lift their leg to pee ?
But ya know, I`ll bet some of the keyboard warriors on here actually ... sit...:tongue3:

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the more evolved process, ...I'm told.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Old indian or early inhabitant village.
On a small hill, defensive position.
Follow this link to thread on Tnet.
This post is also for people that have not seen an indian or old village.

Old Village by Superior

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the Salado sites I've seen were in a defensive position. This site is not. The site is on state trust land. Make sure you have a permit to drive out there for that photo.

Don't you mean state "I don't trust you land"? You could just buy a treasure "Hunting" license. Those treasures are a hard breed to track and hunt!

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
"Upon a hilll east of the old Burns' Ranch is th remains of an old mission. I had seen pictures of it from Bob Gorman when he and a few others were digging it up back in the thirties thinking there may be a treasure or two."

Bob Ward
RIPPLES OF LOST ECHO'S

If Gorman and friends were digging that site up in the thirties, how do we explain carefully stacked stone in 64' and today nothing but mounds of dirt?

Anyway, interesting when you think about the DIOS stone.
Wonder if Travis knew about the site.

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob Ward
RIPPLES OF LOST ECHO'S

If Gorman and friends were digging that site up in the thirties, how do we explain carefully stacked stone in 64' and today nothing but mounds of dirt?

BLM or Forest Service decided some time ago to take away any and all archeological sites with mine entrances for the good of the rest of us because one poor soul fell into a hole or had a rock fall on their hand once in the 1970's. It's so good to have such a nice Government looking out for us isn't it?

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
View attachment 1289825 View attachment 1289826 View attachment 1289828

You'll need to look close to see the drill holes and chisel marks. Some of stones have drill holes that look so old and worn down that they look like natural holes made by nature.

View attachment 1289829 View attachment 1289830 View attachment 1289831
Not sure how one would go about dating drill holes.
I am interested in their shape and what was used to make these holes. Ever find a local example?

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
BLM or Forest Service decided some time ago to take away any and all archeological sites with mine entrances for the good of the rest of us because one poor soul fell into a hole or had a rock fall on their hand once in the 1970's. It's so good to have such a nice Government looking out for us isn't it?

Exploring underground sites such as caves is a reasonably safe experience, provided the explorer is experienced and properly equipped. Abandoned mines is a whole other story. I've worked as an underground miner in Colorado, and I can assure you that some abandoned mines are just as safe as caves, but many are potentially extremely dangerous due to a variety of reasons not apparent from peering inside them from the outside. Here in New Mexico, most abandoned mines on Federal and State land were sealed by the State Mineral Resources Divisions beginning in the 1970s, due to pressure from the cattle industry, a need to protect certain animal habitats (grated entries), and by an increasing exposure to lawsuits filed by unfortunate victims or their families who foolishly were injured or killed exploring. You can't eliminate yahoos' stupidity, but you can protect against their shifting the blame. By the way, if you own or operate a mine, on private or public land, it's your responsibility to keep the yahoos out.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure how one would go about dating drill holes.
I am interested in their shape and what was used to make these holes. Ever find a local example?

Looks like limestone debris from a road cut.

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exploring underground sites such as caves is a reasonably safe experience, provided the explorer is experienced and properly equipped. Abandoned mines is a whole other story. I've worked as an underground miner in Colorado, and I can assure you that some abandoned mines are just as safe as caves, but many are potentially extremely dangerous due to a variety of reasons not apparent from peering inside them from the outside. Here in New Mexico, most abandoned mines on Federal and State land were sealed by the State Mineral Resources Divisions beginning in the 1970s, due to pressure from the cattle industry, a need to protect certain animal habitats (grated entries), and by an increasing exposure to lawsuits filed by unfortunate victims or their families who foolishly were injured or killed exploring. You can't eliminate yahoos' stupidity, but you can protect against their shifting the blame. By the way, if you own or operate a mine, on private or public land, it's your responsibility to keep the yahoos out.

Poor soul fell into a hole? Maybe it's just nature's way of weeding out the idiots

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"...provided the explorer is experienced..." sdcfia

An 'experienced' (cave/mine) explorer being one who has survived being 'inexperienced', ...so far.
---------------------

"Looks like limestone debris from a road cut." scdfia

Exactly, looks very recent.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
"...provided the explorer is experienced..." sdcfia

An 'experienced' (cave/mine) explorer being one who has survived being 'inexperienced', ...so far.
---------------------

"Looks like limestone debris from a road cut." scdfia

Exactly, looks very recent.

Modern-day, would be an apt description. Many of the marks look like heavy equipment , including a backhoe.

Joe Ribaudo

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are many other sites scattered throughout the region which are not built on high ground.
Maps showing where many of them are located, and/or archeo reports are available online.....esp. re: the Hohokam.
Tim could probably show you one of the larger ones, which is not that far from this "mission" site.

I'm sure there's a "story" down in that hole. Maybe even a book or two.
Any mission related artifacts ever found at that site ?
Gold bars maybe, or even a cache of Waltz's gold ore to write about ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread