Stone lined 1800 cellar pit hunt

Tuggerman

Jan 1, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found 2 side by side stone lined cellar holes which is awesome. In the 60s they were used as trash pits, not awesome. I braved all the near surface trash and found a couple period pieces but need help. The first find is a 3 inch diameter ornamental piece copper and fairly thin. I unbent the edges some but it's delicate. Looks like a decorative sconce piece ?? Also a neat buckle that looks to be cast brass and is stamped PAT OCT 22 89. Is this an 1889 buckle?? Found some horse tack iron rings that looked period and lots of screw tops, beaver tails, can ends that have been church keyed, etc. the upside is if I brave through the trash then I may be the first to try. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 4

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
T

Tuggerman

Jan 1, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm detecting around the cellars they are literally filled with several feet of trash ranging from tractor tires to bottle and cans. I would need an excavator. I'm considering taking a garden rake as there are aluminum cans and tin cans in the first couple inches in a bunch of area. I hit a little less trashed area for starters and came home with a big grocery bag of trash.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a buckle!!!vanzutphen

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm - could be something interesting in the cellar hole - as you dig deeper it should get older - you mention cans - are you seeing a lot of beer cans that required an opener (or better yet - the cone-top cans that look sort of like brake fluid cans) - you can often clean totally brown ones up - and some can be worth quite a lot...even if in "iffy" condition...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread