Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am reading the first of a series of 3 Civil War chronicles by Shelby Foote. I won the first volume at a club hunt and my wife bought me the other two for my birthday. It is very good reading and gives most of the political ramifications leading up to various battles. He really makes Stonewall Jackson look like a nincompoop! From his description of Jackson's actions he appears to be experiencing dementia. He does things like laying down under a tree and taking a 3 hr. nap when he is supposed to be moving his troops into place for a battle, etc. So far in my reading he has caused the Confederate Army to lose two battles because he was goofing off somewhere when he was supposed to be engaging the enemy. Has anyone else read up on Stonewall and is this the opinion expressed by other authors? Monty

Upvote 0

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..i would like to think he was coined stonewall due to his stoic and upright posture while lead cracked all around him.

“My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me…That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.” -Jackson

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
There is a life size statue of Jackson on his horse at the Manassas Battlefield visitor center. It was struck by lightning and still has a "scar" from the lightning which is pretty neat looking.

I grew up in Manassas and my Parents still live there. Our house is about a mile north of the Stone House, in a small private neighborhood, along Bull Run Creek and surrounded on three sides by the National Park. Our neighbor's farmhouse was used as a field hospital during 1st Manassas and was burned, then rebuilt on it's original foundation after 2nd Manassas.

I had the run of the National park as a kid, knew all of the Park Rangers and worked on the Youth Conservation Corps for my 1st "real" job.

I got into metal detecting after learning that the N.Y. troops were camped on our property for 72hrs during a storm.....you wouldn't believe me if I told you how many dropped bullets I found on my 1st outing with my machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread