Stopped at a Garage sale

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably 10 or so years back. They had this saddle for $450 I bought it and wore it on my Horse John Wayne (JW) Here we are at a Professional Football Hall of Fame Parade. JW out grew the saddle and i decided to sell it on Ebay. Found out it is a very old and expensive saddle. I got $5,075 for it. I had it listed $5000 buy it now plus $75 was for shipping It was sold in 2 days

TedFlowers JW.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello2:Congratulations Buddy!!!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/m...lver-ted-flowers-parade-saddle/id-f_12726961/

ALEXANDRIA -- There was a time when Ted Flowers was one of the best known parade saddle makers in the United States. From the 1950s through the 1970s, his saddles were an affordable alternative to horse saddles made on the West Coast. Flowers’ prices ranged from $32 for an unadorned standard model to over $15,000 for a more exquisite model. But most of Flowers’ handmade saddles cost in the vicinity of $1,000 to $2,000.

During the 1940s, Edward Anderson “Ted” Flowers began making saddles at his shop in Anderson. He then moved to Alexandria where he opened Saddles on Parade on Indiana 9, just south of town. It was there where Flowers not only produced most of his saddles, but also manufactured his own steel dyes for stamping patterns into the leather. The saddle maker most often used German silver, stainless steel, Sterling silver, brass, and copper to decorate his saddles. The fancier saddles featured an Indian head or horse head decoration, and sometimes a 14-caret gold inlay. The saddles weighed anywhere from seventy-five to one-hundred-fifty pounds.

It wasn’t uncommon for Western movie legends Roy Rogers and Gene Autrey to buy equipment from Flowers. The cowboy stars would land their private planes at Alexandria’s Knott’s Airport just a mile away and go almost unnoticed by fellow customers at Saddles on Parade.

The featured Ted Flowers Parade saddle is known as the Royal and was made in the early 1960s. It was used primarily for parade classes and has the mark of Saddles on Parade up by the swells. Equestrians appearing at the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, California, or Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade in New York City, often sit tall in a saddle made by Flowers. Today, horse saddles made by Flowers can go for as much as $7,500 in auctions. They have also been featured on episodes of the History Channel’s Pawn Stars.

Though Flowers was considered a supreme craftsman in his field, his life ended tragically. Flowers allegedly shot and killed Kenneth Goad, 24, and Sherry Gross, 30, at his Alexandria home on Aug. 21,1975. He was charged with two counts of first degree murder in connection with the shooting deaths of the two Muncie residents. While awaiting a January court appearance, the 61-year-old Flowers collapsed at the Madison County Jail where he was being held. He passed away on Jan. 7, 1976 at Saint John’s Hospital of an apparent heart attack. Flowers was laid to rest at Park View Cemetery in Alexandria.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You did very well on the saddle. Congrat's. J.W. Is a great looking horse.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did very well on the saddle. Congrat's. J.W. Is a great looking horse.

Thank you Devildog !!! I have raised HIM SINCE he WAS 6 MONTHS OLD . I broke and trained him. I am very proud of him and you can probably Tell.
Devil Dog i would like to THANK you for your SERVICE !!! I would also like to talk to you on the phone . Could i call you about Devil Dog ring i found ? If i can please pm me your phone number

Gary

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you play too? Do you raise your own colts? Do you ranch rodeo or rope or just ride for pleasure?
I’m the one that has overgrown any tac and now have started to break everything to drive. If I outgrow my wagon don’t know what I’ll do...hahaa

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A friends Dad , last name of Densin or Densen ?(sp.) Built saddles. An art to be sure.
When I needed a saddle they had moved.
Found an old western for 25 bucks at a boarding facility just before I rented an old farm. I restored it. Really just cleaned it well and nursed the leather back into prime condition.
It was a dandy, but more importantly fit the horse.
Never dug into who built it though.

Congrats on J.W..
It's a different kind of relationship breaking and training your own.

Had a friend long ago that was one of the last remounts. Quite a character.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another picture of Me , Max my dog and JW detecting

detecting j.jpg

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing flip! Love that last photo.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest: