Tiffany 18k Ring Value

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I posted this ring when I got it back in 2019. Everyone agreed it was Tiffany. I put it away & pretty much forgot it. I'd like to sell it and don't have a clue about value. It's been resized & the karat mark is no longer there. Tests as 18k. Weighs 2.8 grams. Best I can tell the blue center stone (sapphire?) is about 4 mm. The 8 clear stones are about 2mm. What do y'all think?

IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1365.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a BEST price, get a jeweler to put everything in writing, which will cost you of course. The other thing you can do is get a diamond tester and gold tester and list the results. There really isn't a short answer.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's worth what somebody is willing to pay. The problem with rings is that they only fit one size so if you find somebody who likes it it will have to be their size. If you sell it to a jeweler who has many more folks in their store you will have to take less than retail. Jewelers usually never pay more than 50% of retail and pawn shops often less. It is used jewelry and will not bring what a new ring will. Not very easy to get retail for a used piece of jewelry. Perhaps a store that specializes in estate jewelry would be the place to take it to for an appraisal and see what they offer. A jeweler can also test it and re-stamp the karat mark (they would never take your test results before doing so). An auction may get you the best price but they can also be a gamble. Likely not going to get more than a couple hundred bucks in my opinion, and that might be high if you sell it to a store.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the Tiffany name would add a little premium to the value. The setting looks to be of an early type, so knowing everything about the age, grade of stones and all that would at least be something to highlight the value to any potential buyers. I never pay to have appraisals, but instead give my honest opinion on what I believe it is I have to offer. If I was to offer you $150. for it would you except? If no is your answer I guess then you could start from there in determining how much you'd really like to get out of it.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion you will need to find a private buyer but you may need a jeweler to test it and mark the karat of the gold and give you a carat/cut and clarity on the stone. Which will give you a determination on the price to ask. The jeweler can also give his opinion on a price to start at. But tell him/her you are not wanting to sell to them you want the value for a private sale. otherwise if they think you want to sell it to them they will low ball the price. You should contact a Tiffany dealer to find out what it originally sold for.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was selling it in my Etsy shop I would ask $2200 and probably take any offer over $1500. You would need an established shop to sell at that price though. You could auction it on eBay and if you first get a solid appraisal and gem cert for it (as Smokey the cat suggested) I wouldn’t be surprised by $500 and I wouldn’t be surprised by $2k.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Disagree with gunsil on the one size period as I'm positive that ring could be resized up or down.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You misunderstand my statement. I meant if the OP were to sell it directly to a person for retail he would have to find somebody it fit. Otherwise he would have to pay to have it re-sized or take a lower amount as the buyer would have to pay for the adjustment. I had a jewelry store for five years and I did many repairs and sizings for the estate and antique jewelry store next door. To get much for the ring it would have to be professionally tested and re-stamped with the karat mark and you will have to pay for that work. Sapphires cannot be in a ring to be sized down by removing a piece of metal and soldering back together. Heat will cause a color change in sapphire and many other colored gem stones. It will cost to have central stone removed to size it down. Sure, if you have a jewelry store or are a jeweler you can sell it to anybody and re-size it for them otherwise you will have to pay to have it done. The ring is small and thin, it will not re-size much larger or the metal band will get too thin. Anything can be done, just a matter of how much do you want to spend to make the sale. The ring may have been made by Tiffany and the brand is popular but it is not a spectacular Tiffany product and the diamonds are tiny. At 4mm the sapphire is also quite small and not a really valuable stone even if natural. The main stone needs to be checked by a gemologist as synthetic sapphires have been around for a hundred years and were very popular in the 1920s and 30s but don't have much value today. Yes, Tiffany and many other high end jewelers used the synthetic ruby and sapphires when they were newly invented and popular. This ring is "cute" but it was not a higher end ring when new and it is not today. Not all Tiffany products are expensive today and they weren't when the ring was made. Tiffany sold and sells a lot of lower end jewelry too.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d only take it to a retail Tiffany & Co. outlet (jewelry store) and get them to appraise its value.
Good luck! My appraisal as a retired jewelry manufacturer would be $450-750. Retail. But that is just a guess without an on hand evaluation. Best of luck!

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a hard look before you sell it. I spent some time window shopping this morning and I’m not finding any vintage Tiffany diamond halo rings for under $4-5k, so my first stab may have been and underestimate.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Take a hard look before you sell it. I spent some time window shopping this morning and I’m not finding any vintage Tiffany diamond halo rings for under $4-5k, so my first stab may have been and underestimate.

I looked at value after I first got it. One of the reasons I didn't sell back then was the huge variability in prices. At that time the range for similar Tiffany rings was between $500-1500, with a few outliers going for as much as $3-4k. I don't have an etsy account so I'm limited to eBay as a retail outlet.

Thought I might get some solid info to narrow down the price range. Based on the estate this came from I'd date the ring somewhere between the 50's and late 80's. No Tiffany store in my small town & I haven't been real impressed with any of the jewelers here. IMO the key to this one will be determining the quality of the center stone.

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I would look more at a Facebook listing in your town / near by big city. I find that I get the best value on Facebook since I don’t have to pay fees to either eBay or PayPal. Plus I can meet in person at either a bank or local law enforcement since it’s a high value item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread