Storage unit auctions?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FORGET storage auctions! I know people who have done it for 20+ years & who have only had a couple of scores in all that time & nothing they could retire off of more like they made $5K off a $100-$200 locker a few times (IN 20+ YEARS). The TV shows are complete 100% BS! More people loose money on storage auctions than there are people who come out ahead. When the storage auction guys show up at a different auction I go to weekly (that sells pallets of boxed up stuff) those locker auction guys run the prices way up higher than usual, they are just stupid about how they think & do things. Those storage guys are like kids who always want to buy that can't see thru brown "grab bag" (of crap & candy) at the flea market back in the day. Those storage auction type guys pay for the what if! While real auction people pay for the security of knowing they are going to come out way ahead! Storage auctions are for people who don't know enough about alot of different things to be able to work real auctions for real good deals! Around here the storage guys have to be the most hillbilly, dirty, dumb auction people around & I don't want anything to do with them!

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small property clean out business.I have a contract to clean out units, and haul the stuff away.Best of all I get paid to do it.And then yard sell the good stuff :coffee2:

Good Deal free Merchandise. I went to a sale this weekend. First time this facility has had a sale in 3 years. Had 8 units I bought the 3 that sold. The facility owners paid me to clean out the other 5. Spent 950 at the auction made 1k to clean out the units that didn't sell had maybe 200 in expenses so basically cost me 150 for 8 units in the end. Best part is one of the units I got paid to clean out had a 4' x 4' Super Service Chevrolet lighted sign that mounts on the side of the dealers building from the 60's in excellent shape. Should make some good money off that one piece. Plus the units I bought were pretty decent as well. Good weekend for me. Nothing wrong with making money cleaning out units you get paid and get free merchandise.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small property clean out business.I have a contract to clean out units, and haul the stuff away.Best of all I get paid to do it.And then yard sell the good stuff :coffee2:
No, no, no, sell the crap at yardsales and the good stuff on ebay! lol :laughing7:
do you mean they don't have to go through the auction bit?
I think he means home cleanouts from foreclosures etc.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like allot a work.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you mean they don't have to go through the auction bit?

I'm guessing they still go through the whole auction deal just some units do not sell. When that happens the owners have to get the hauled away so in my case there is a few I do clean out for and get paid to do it. Believe it or not there is actually some decent stuff that comes out of unsold units. Now on the other hand you have to make sure you cover your expenses of the cleanout and make some money on top of that to make it worth your time. Finding resellable merchandise during the cleanout is a bonus. Yes is can be alot of work as well hence make it worth your time. I know alot of facility owners don't have the manpower to clean them out there mom and pop operations so they have to pay someone might as well me me.:hello2:

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW here is a 10 x 15 I got paid 300 to clean out this past weekend. Very few people there and the ones that were I have never seen before and didn't want to do the work. Took me about 3 hours to empty it. Less than 45 in dump fees. Plenty of resale stuff in this locker. Already sold the commercial drain snake for 350.00 worked perfect maybe another 100 in scrap metal.

450 #2.JPG

Last edited:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to clean apartments for a short period of time and people left most anything they deemed to heavy to carry down the stairs. So I too found some good items but it was work. Evictions would leave most everything but you didn't want it. I use to give everyone I knew microwaves. I had a stack of microwaves. Only problem is some people have very dirty microwaves.

On a similar note a friend of mine worked for a storage unit company and said he went through every unit before it went to auction and took what he wanted. He wasn't suppose to but there was nothing stopping him. That has kept me away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread