Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I ran to the local bank to grab my coin order before they closed early due to the hurricane, and they doubled up my order, so I got $2000 from them and another $500 on hand to open for the storm.

The good news is: box 1 had 1 40%, so I didn't get all skunk.
The bad news: for the first time ever, I got shorted in the box. There was 40 rolls in a $500 box!

Now I am hoping the bank trusts me because I am bringing the box back. I have been going in there for months, so I am hoping for the best. Taking a $100 hit is not in the plan. I have searched about $125,000 in halves in about 9 months, so this was pretty surprising.

I post totals later, but no enders in the 4 boxes I am searching. - Happy Hunting, Jonathan

Upvote 0

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hazards of our hobby. Once you walk out the door you are pretty much screwed. Always try and verify before you leave the counter.
As far as the banks is concerned they paid $500.00, you paid $500.00 for the box so the books balance, it will have to go all the way back
to the courier and I really doubt that will happen.

Chalk it up to a learning experience.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
So what if the box is taped shut with the wide brown tape? Do you really break the seal in front of the teller? In the bank? While I understand the reasoning behind this, wouldn't it also be considered rude to do it in front of the teller? Sorry, still learning the ropes, so I would love to know what does everyone else do? I figure if its taped and dated, its ok.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what if the box is taped shut with the wide brown tape? Do you really break the seal in front of the teller? In the bank? While I understand the reasoning behind this, wouldn't it also be considered rude to do it in front of the teller? Sorry, still learning the ropes, so I would love to know what does everyone else do? I figure if its taped and dated, its ok.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

If you are talking about the Brinks box with tape, what you can do if to shake it. If you are talking about the NF strong box, you can check the holes on the back. You can also shake it if you have Loomis box or Garda box because they are fully sealed.

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are talking about the Brinks box with tape, what you can do if to shake it. If you are talking about the NF strong box, you can check the holes on the back. You can also shake it if you have Loomis box or Garda box because they are fully sealed.

I agree, I always shake the box to see if the rolls are secured.

P.S. - Opening the box in front of tellers might tip them off to the silver if there are any enders, its a personal preference if you want to open it while you're still there. I've had tellers ask if I want them to open the box to verify.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Hard to believe a box with ten rolls missing didn't seem odd. If a box looks weird I open it at the bank. I will say "this box looks weird" and open it right in front of them. This can be difficult if you are getting a large order like a dozen boxes of halves as they bring them out fast and on a dolly. The most I ever got shorted was one roll. I actually once shorted a bag I returned by two rolls without realizing it - didn't notice for a couple days as I found the rolls under my car seat. I return bags of $1k to a few banks so I never found out who I shorted and was never notified. I'm guessing they deal with bags by weighing them and must have been within their ratio but thought it was odd. Not something I would purposely do as you never wanna mess with a bag dump bank!

Maine_Jim

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This happened to me once. It was 1000 in loose half rolls. They had put them in banded them off in groups of 100 and set them in burlap sacks. When I got home I only had 900. I called back up to the bank and they were able to determine that they had cut me short by 100. Hope for the best!

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been shorted before, the banks always refuse to do anything once you have left the building. You can always try to complain, though.

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got skunked a few times by one roll, another time a roll in the corner was laying flat and taking up 3 slots :(
Anytime you walk out the door you're sol. as there is no way to prove any shortages.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Hard to believe a box with ten rolls missing didn't seem odd. If a box looks weird I open it at the bank. I will say "this box looks weird" and open it right in front of them. This can be difficult if you are getting a large order like a dozen boxes of halves as they bring them out fast and on a dolly. The most I ever got shorted was one roll. I actually once shorted a bag I returned by two rolls without realizing it - didn't notice for a couple days as I found the rolls under my car seat. I return bags of $1k to a few banks so I never found out who I shorted and was never notified. I'm guessing they deal with bags by weighing them and must have been within their ratio but thought it was odd. Not something I would purposely do as you never wanna mess with a bag dump bank!

Maine_Jim

I was going to comment, but Maine_Jim summed it up perfectly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread