Storms Finds from "Lees Place". Plus a tear or two :-(

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Storms Finds from "Lee's Place". Plus a tear or two :-(

OK, First off I want to share with everyone how my day went today. I am all about sharing my finds, good or bad. Having said that...I found 2 key date coins today but "killed" one of them. I am already upset with myself enough about it, so please keep the jokes to a minimum LOL. It happens to be the only coin I "ricked" today and it was deep and on edge.
My hunting partner and I got permission to hunt a 64 acre site that has seen heavy use from 1904 to present date. As far as we can tell, it is a virgin site. From now on, I will call this site "Lee's Place", just like the Iceberg, shark pit, etc. These find came from our first 150' x 100' area. We grided this off and spent 5 hours in it going sssllllooooowwww.

My hunting buddy may not wanna post his find, but I will tell you what he got just to give you an example of what is still in the ground here....

His finds, 3 Barber Dimes, 1 Merc, 1 IH, and a few Wheaties. Very little clad so far.

My finds for the day, and a few firsts for me. I was hoping for my first Barber, but it wasn't in today hunt....Whatcha gonna do LOL.

My finds....
1916-S Obverse Walker Half (The one I killed) Key Date
1943 Walker Half
1941 Merc
Good for 5 cents token (soaking right now, not pictured)
And thanks to our soil, a really crappy 1914-D Wheat Cent (Key Date) Didn't picture well...Sorry!
4 other Misc Wheaties

My best day so far, a few firsts for me...
1st Half Dollar Coin
1st Silver Half Dollar
1st & 2nd Key Date coins.
1st Good for Token

2006_0608Image0001.jpg

2006_0608Image0007.jpg

Upvote 0

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Re: Storms Finds from "Lee's Place". Plus a tear or two :-(

Way to go, a day of first, and some really sweet coins. I will be looking forward for more post.

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro

Sweet finds, nice site. How awesome is it to find that many key dates in one day.
Try tumbling the wheatie..you'd be surprised how it comes out...

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90

Awesome finds Storm! Two key dates in one day. Wow! Bettter go back and get the gold now. HH and WTG
Coinman66

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

Natman said:
WTG Storm, those are some great finds!

How hard was the soil there? My biggest concern when hunting an old site is the condition of the soil. If the ground is too hard, I'm bound to hack into a coin as I feverishly chip into the ground with my digging tool..I'm willing to take the chance, but sometimes the unthinkable happens.

Still a great coin and a very memorable day you had, which was worth it.

Congrats,
Nat

Where we were digging was nice an moist....They just watered 2 days before we hunted it. The area is still actively watered in most parts.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

I got to see these bad boy treasures in person yesterday ~ WOW WOW WOW!!! That's some AWESOME finds man! WOOHOOO!!!!!! Now THAT gets your blood pumping! WTG!!!

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado

Very good Finds there, Now I know why they tell me be careful when you dig.

I am still waiting to find my first 1792 half dime. HH

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

Great, great finds.....very sorry about that Walker, I gasped out loud when I saw it......pretty coin though, would've graded nice. One thing though, and not to take away from your Wheat Cent at all but I'm pretty sure that it's a 1914-S......I can actually see the "S" better than anything else on the coin.......

Great day, WTG!

HH all!

Greg

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

1235CE said:
Great, great finds.....very sorry about that Walker, I gasped out loud when I saw it......pretty coin though, would've graded nice. One thing though, and not to take away from your Wheat Cent at all but I'm pretty sure that it's a 1914-S......I can actually see the "S" better than anything else on the coin.......

Great day, WTG!

HH all!

Greg

I see what you are also seeing on the picture, It is corrosion on the coin.  I checked it with a jewelers loop, it is a D mint mark. Not that it makes this green slug of a wheatie valuable LOL

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe

To cool S.T.! Look forward to the rest of "Lee's Place", but no more tears LOL :D

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

That's still a great bunch of silver (I was going to say 'anyway you slice it' before realizing it wasn't the optimum phrase).

2 Walkers, and probably more to come from a great site.

Schrecky from dfxonly posted a good hint that--after dinging my fleagle--I'm going to try to employ:

If you have a 'high-grade' signal you're going after, dig a parallel shaft and come up from under it. What I've been doing is digging a wider hole and doing a junior version of what he described.

Excellent day for you in the Great Northwest!

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done

Storm,

Excellent job. You found them in the rick of time,Sorry I coulden"t resist either :) :) HH P.S. Don"t worry about that theres more where that came from and it has happened to all of us. I once CUT a perfecy1919 Merc. in half. >:(

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Sounds like a great place you got to hunt. Chances are good you will get your first, second, etc barbers at this place. Very sweet on the key dates. Also very sweet to find two silver halves in one day!

Bob

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

Storm,
Congratulations on locating Lee's place and some spectacular finds!

I don't know if it would help, but I have had good luck with putting my Wheats in a white potato, and scrubbing them with a soft bristle toothbrush every 24 hours. Something about the starch in the potato, just sucks that green color right off of it. I did a 1917 wheat I found this way and it sure made a tremendous difference.

Just make sure you check it every 24 hours or so and reposition it in the potato if needed.

Baldingboy

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Great group of coins.

It happens man. I've scratched alot of coins over the yrs. They get scratched just breaking the earth apart.

You don't have to hit it with a tool or shovel. The pressure of the rock and soil around it scratches and scuffs the rims and stuff. It's just part of the recovery.

I look at it like this. It gives me more incentive to find another better example of the one's I hit or got damaged recovering them.

HH Jer

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful finds, Trooper!! :o Look forward to your next post from there too!! 8)

Nana :)

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Finds

Congratulations