Storms Finds from "Lees Place". Plus a tear or two :-(

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Storms Finds from "Lee's Place". Plus a tear or two :-(

OK, First off I want to share with everyone how my day went today. I am all about sharing my finds, good or bad. Having said that...I found 2 key date coins today but "killed" one of them. I am already upset with myself enough about it, so please keep the jokes to a minimum LOL. It happens to be the only coin I "ricked" today and it was deep and on edge.
My hunting partner and I got permission to hunt a 64 acre site that has seen heavy use from 1904 to present date. As far as we can tell, it is a virgin site. From now on, I will call this site "Lee's Place", just like the Iceberg, shark pit, etc. These find came from our first 150' x 100' area. We grided this off and spent 5 hours in it going sssllllooooowwww.

My hunting buddy may not wanna post his find, but I will tell you what he got just to give you an example of what is still in the ground here....

His finds, 3 Barber Dimes, 1 Merc, 1 IH, and a few Wheaties. Very little clad so far.

My finds for the day, and a few firsts for me. I was hoping for my first Barber, but it wasn't in today hunt....Whatcha gonna do LOL.

My finds....
1916-S Obverse Walker Half (The one I killed) Key Date
1943 Walker Half
1941 Merc
Good for 5 cents token (soaking right now, not pictured)
And thanks to our soil, a really crappy 1914-D Wheat Cent (Key Date) Didn't picture well...Sorry!
4 other Misc Wheaties

My best day so far, a few firsts for me...
1st Half Dollar Coin
1st Silver Half Dollar
1st & 2nd Key Date coins.
1st Good for Token

2006_0608Image0001.jpg

2006_0608Image0007.jpg

Upvote 0

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
Re: Storms Finds from "Lee's Place". Plus a tear or two :-(

Nice finds, you found them in the nick of time ;D.....sorry couldn't resist....I've done it also

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Nice work and great pics storm!

Congrats on all your firsts! WTG!

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can't wait to find some coins like those Storm. Congrats!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Awesome finds Storm! Bummer about the nick, but we've all done it (maybe not to such a key date though). Talk about bittersweet!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer

Forgive me my ignorance.. but what exactly is a "key date" ?? I'm not a coin collector (as of yet) <grin> so some of the vocabulary you folks use escapes me. Enlighten this newbie!

Thanks in advance for your patience and your kindness. <grin>

Frodov

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Shame on your half, I've ric'd a few myself and had a friend who ric'd a 1914-D Wheat in AU shape, TerryN who posts on other forums. Still some great finds and who can tell what great coin will be dug next, but am sure you will be taking your time when you dig them!!

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

Frodov said:
Forgive me my ignorance.. but what exactly is a "key date" ?? I'm not a coin collector (as of yet) <grin> so some of the vocabulary you folks use escapes me. Enlighten this newbie!

Thanks in advance for your patience and your kindness. <grin>

Frodov

A rare coin from the series, usually from Low Mintage or Errors. That half would have been a $150.00 coin or so if I didn't nick it with my digger :'( The 1914-D wheat penny is a Rare Key date also, Low mintage, $75.00 in the lowest grade. However, mine has extensive corrosion, so it is just a rare find is all. That's the way our copper coins react in our soil. It is what it is!!!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Don't feel bad, White's decked a half this week, too. Now, we are tied 1-1 on Walking Lib decks. LMAO!

HH!

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

KirkPA said:
Don't feel bad, White's decked a half this week, too. Now, we are tied 1-1 on Walking Lib decks. LMAO!

HH!

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE, Yes...We are even LOL I wish it happened to the common date one! LOL

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Only thing you can do about it is tell yourself you learned a lesson and be more careful in the future. I find when I hunt that I often start out very slow and carefully and by the end (depending of course on what I'm finding), my patience is wearing thinner, I'm a little tired, usually sweaty, maybe the bugs are getting to me etc... and I'll suddenly realize I'm rushing things way too much. I might be swinging the detector like crazy or digging like a madman and not paying attention.

At that point I either hang it up for the day, or take a break, get a drink of water, maybe sit down for a few minutes and then start up again.

Just picture that next signal being your first gold coin, or a $10K silver coin or something and imagine how you would feel if you scratched it and you'll usually avoid any problems.

That said - heck of a bunch of nice finds!!! Sounds like you have alot of work to do there!

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

tymcmurray said:
GREAT finds!!!

How do you clean them sooooo well???!

Soap and water to get dirt off. Then if it is a common date silver coin I use some silver cleaner. I cleaned the 16-s also, because I dont think it really matters anymore after the grand canyon right down her midsection LOL

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome hunt Storm. Congrats on all that silver Dude.
-MM-

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

the grand canyon !!!!!!!!!! way too funny dude....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
nice finds ,, even nicer spot !!!!!!!!!!! all the best on the return trip .....

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Storm...Congrats on the big silver. I haven't found a silver half this year. I think my Barber dime total is almost as good as my Merc total...but only 4 silver quarters and no halves this year.

ravenguide

Jul 29, 2007
upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
whites xlt

Great finds, looks like alot more in the ground there,look forward to what you dig up next

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

great finds storm ! sorry about your key date nick :( sure is a bummer, better luck next time ;)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

I know how you feel sort of. The only silver quarter I found was almost perfect except for the nice big scratch I put in it with my digger.

I would take the coins you found any day!!! Way to go Storm. Keep up the awesome finds and I have to say I am very impressed with your skill at finding the good stuff. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions