strange clad auctions

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: strange ike auction

There is a variety of 1972 (Philadelphia, no Mint mark) Ike that sells for a premium (3 varieties with the second being the valuable one). Someone may believe that to be the desirable variety but it isn't as it is a 1972-D.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

When I first saw it, I thought maybe it was an un-labeled Type 2 but then I noticed it was a 1972-D so that theory is out the window. My thought is maybe this is a "troll auction". Who knows...

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think that a local collector in India bid on it. If s/he buy one from US, the shipping would cost that much.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its the rare version of the Ike struck in the sweatshops of New Delhi.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
I've seen that before and I've been tempted to put some halves up on ebay just to see. I know there are people that think they are rare, but I would think they'd check in to other auctions first to see the price...

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
conpewter said:
I've seen that before and I've been tempted to put some halves up on ebay just to see. I know there are people that think they are rare, but I would think they'd check in to other auctions first to see the price...

It's funnny... I have also seen older but still clad AU Halves in several antique shops selling for $2+.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow that is crazy people bid on that. Tempted to put up a lot of 76 bicentennials to see if someone goes nuts!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
RW said:
Wow that is crazy people bid on that. Tempted to put up a lot of 76 bicentennials to see if someone goes nuts!

You should...Im thinking of polishing up some of my Ikes laying around and sell them as "Rare"

I figure if a person wants to pay for the convience of not having to search for them...then thats the price they pay

I foudn this one that is a bit odd...1965 Clad Half?

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Kennedy-half...71?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item45f7c66baf

I don't see anything odd about this one. It's just a 1965 40%er, no?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything odd about this one. It's just a 1965 40%er, no?
[/quote]

Haha..Yea..that makes more since..when I first saw it , it was "free shipping"..which would have been worth maybe picking up..
but you are right..40%'er...i just didnt think it would be considered "Clad"..and for the price it started at..it would have been less then 3 bucks for one.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jerseyben said:
When I first saw it, I thought maybe it was an un-labeled Type 2 but then I noticed it was a 1972-D so that theory is out the window. My thought is maybe this is a "troll auction". Who knows...
troll auction???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread