***STRANGE FACTS THAT MOST DONT KNOW

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: ***STRANGE FACTS THAT MOST DON'T KNOW

Old Town said:
shortstack, I looked up the bomb and Germany. All they managed was a dirty bomb in tests. This is far from a nuclear reaction. The scientists simply used radioactive material and conventional explosives to make 2 dirty bombs for experiments. Supposedly they used Allied prisoners and Jews as victims in area tests. Hundreds were killed according to one article I read. Other articles discount this report.

What I did find was both Japan and Germany were well into this field before I thought they were. Both doing research with an intent of a weapon in the early 30s.

I'm glad we got there first.

OT

I know exactly what you mean, Old Town. I worked with nuclear bombs and rockets years ago in the Air Force and I have to laugh at how the public is fooled by the ign0rant media concerning "Dirty Bombs". The media barely knows how to SPELL nuclear, but they present themselves as experts and have everyone afraid of dirty bombs showing up in our country. The only way a dirty bomb can hurt you is if the explosion kills you or you walk through the area and breath any of the radioactive material into your lungs. Another way is if you eat something that has the radioactive material on it. In other words, for the radioactive trash to harm you, you have to get it INSIDE of your body. CBR people from the military would comb the area with equipment to detect all of the "hot" stuff and collect it. Any low level stuff too small to be picked up or vacuumed up would be washed down with high pressure fire hoses into the storm system. ZIP, ZOP, DONE & DONE.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This August 2010 has 5 Sundays 5 Mondays and 5 Tuesdays in it . This will not happen for another 832 years. Guess we won't see that one

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

About the two German nuclear bombs. Most of the info was from a documentry on HINT over the sat. The first bomb was exploded on an island. It was a "dirty bomb" They didn't have the full 98# of U235 to bring on the big boom. The second was a true nuclear blast with the full 98# of u235. Russian prisoners and Jews were placed at various distances from the blast to test results. The second bomb depleted there nuclear material supply. They had a heavy water plant in the Swiss mountains, but we blew it up before they got any amount of material.
Our ship that deliverer one of our nuclear bombs to an airbase was sunk just after delivery.
That's all the info I have. Hope it clears stuff up!

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Frankn said:
About the two German nuclear bombs. Most of the info was from a documentry on HINT over the sat. The first bomb was exploded on an island. It was a "dirty bomb" They didn't have the full 98# of U235 to bring on the big boom. The second was a true nuclear blast with the full 98# of u235. Russian prisoners and Jews were placed at various distances from the blast to test results. The second bomb depleted there nuclear material supply. They had a heavy water plant in the Swiss mountains, but we blew it up before they got any amount of material.
Our ship that deliverer one of our nuclear bombs to an airbase was sunk just after delivery.
That's all the info I have. Hope it clears stuff up!

So they did achieve fission? This is scary. But when you think of the effort that went into the V1 and V2 rockets you have to figure they had a plan for these things beyond lobbing a ton of TNT into a general area. They must have been waiting for a nuke payload to plant on London.

Thank any living Allied veteran of that war if you can find one. And thanks, Frankn for the stuff.

Old Town

L

LandStar

Really Stupid New York State laws...Still on the books but not enforced...If some jackhole cop wrote a ticket though, it WOULD have to be enforced

Women may go topless in public, providing it is not being used as a business. (Let's make this a Federal Law...lol)
You may not smoke within 100 feet of the entrance to a public building.
It is illegal for a woman to be on the street wearing body hugging clothing. (Put every NY woman in the slammer!!!)
Citizens may not greet each other by “putting ones thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers”.
A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting.
It is against the law to throw a ball at someones head for fun.
The penalty for jumping off a building is death. (Like DUH!!!)
New Yorkers cannot dissolve a marriage for irreconcilable differences, unless they both agree to it. (Now that is funny)
A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket. (Say HUH???)
While riding in an elevator, one must talk to no one, and fold his hands while looking toward the door.
Slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 PM.

HH,

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

THE INFAMOUS RULE OF GOLD

HE WHO HAS THE GOLD, MAKES THE RULES

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here are somemore facts:

--the tongue is the strongest muscle in the human body.
--a cockroach can live up to 9 days after his head is cut off. He only dies because he can't eat.
--crocodiles cannot stick out their tongues
--butterflies taste through their feet.
--starfish have no brains. (they MUST be Democrats)
--multiplying 111,111,111 by 111,111,111 equals 12,345,678,987,654,321
--A statue in a park with a soldier on a horse with 2 of it's hooves in the air, means the soldier died in combat.
If the horse has only 1 hoof in the air, the soldier died from wounds received in combat.
If the horse has all 4 hooves on the ground, the soldier died of natural causes.

--mosquitoes have teeth.
--Thomas Edison was afraid of the dark. (now THAT'S FUNNY, I don't care WHO you are.)

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

The Earth is not running out of oil!! The Earth constantly makes oil Thur a chemical reaction driven by heat and pressure. It is a slow but constant process.
The fable of compressed reptiles was disproven long ago.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

Germany had flying saucers. They were called Haunebu. Not many were made, and even fewer exist today.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

rockhound said:
Germany had flying saucers. They were called Haunebu. Not many were made, and even fewer exist today.

rockhound, I just looked this up. Amazing! I can't believe the stuff Nazi Germany had in the pipeline before and during the war. I'm fairly up on WW2 but had never heard of this till you mentioned it.

Surprising this does not get more play today just as a curio subject. Nobody has ever mentioned or used this in literature or movies that I'm aware of. Seems too fantastic to miss.

OT

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Old Town said:
rockhound said:

rockhound, I just looked this up. Amazing! I can't believe the stuff Nazi Germany had in the pipeline before and during the war. I'm fairly up on WW2 but had never heard of this till you mentioned it.

Surprising this does not get more play today just as a curio subject. Nobody has ever mentioned or used this in literature or movies that I'm aware of. Seems too fantastic to miss.

OT
My first information was in 'Tom Swift' adolescent adventure novels when I was in junior high school .
Purportedly , then , they were alchohol/oxygen fueled space craft with which remnants of the Third Reich
had colonized the moon . If my memory serves me correctly .

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

I missed that whole line of books, butch. I wonder if any recent writing has been done on this subject?

OT

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Old Town said:
I missed that whole line of books, butch. I wonder if any recent writing has been done on this subject?

OT
Don't have a clue , but doubt it . It was a hack series about the same time as Jenny Gordon
mysteries and The Hardy Boys .
A precursor was The Banner Boy Scouts series .
Jim

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

More on the Haunebu,you may not know. When Germany was being invaded by the US and USSR, they gathered most of their top brass and possibly Hitler,too, into the remaining Haunebu, with enough supplies and building material to prolong the war. When they left Germany they headed for the Schwabenland,(Antartica), where they set up a base in a huge underground cavern they had discovered and outfitted with subs for over two years before. They had a full fledged factory in there to continue building and updating their Haunebu spacecraft. They had a definite purpose in mind with these craft. They were in contact with another civilization in another constellation at the time, and were going there to live.These Haunebu spacecraft used electrogravitic propulsion and could hover silently for 30-60 minutes without any noise whatsoever. The Germans had found a crashed spacecraft in Germany in 1934, and this is where they back engineered some of their technology, and came into contact with these other aliens. Anyway, the US and GB got wind of their Schwabenland installtion and sent in a group of Marines to blow it up. When they entered this cavern, they were amazed that they encountered no resistance. When they arrived at the base, they saw it was powerd by an underground hot springs, and they had gardens and livestock and a full machine works. They placed charges in the cavern and when safely outside they detonated them, ending the German's dream of leaving this planet. rockhound

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

rockhound, wasn't that a Clive Cussler novel? I remember reading something just like that in a novel. It has to be Cussler. He's the only one could pull it off.

OT

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tony66 said:
texastee2007 said:
Monty said:
Arlington National Cemetery civil war dead are buried in Robert E. Lee's front yard. Monty

they buried the blacks in his wife's Rose garden so that Robert E. Lee and his wife would never return home again.

Please forgive me if this is an --deleted-- question or remark but I don't understand whythey would bury blacks in the wifes Rose garden. My understanding is that Robert E Lee was not a supporter of slavery and that he had no slaves even before the Civil War started and that (I'm not positive about this part) his wife was either assisting escaped slaves or was teaching escaped slaves (both against the law). I also thought that Ulysses S Grant was made to give up his slaves at the end of the Civil War and that Mary Todd Lincoln was very pro slavery. With that said, I don't understand why blacks buried in the garden would cause Mr and Mrs not to return home. Can anyone please explain this to me. Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone, I just thought maybe I understood some things wrong.

I am not certain about slaves being buried in the rose garden, but Arlington, the Lee's home, was confiscated by the federal government at the end of the war and that is why they did not return home. One of his sons was eventually able to negotiate a settlement with the government for the loss of the property, but that was some time after Robert E. Lee died.

Contrary to belief, Lee did own many slaves who worked at Arlington. He was no abolitionist, nor was his wife. It has been documented that when a slave attempted escape, Lee himself did not hesitate to have the slave brutally whipped, nearly to the point of death. It was not an uncommon practice. The fear was that lenient treatment of escaping slaves would only serve to encourage others to do the same, especially at places like Arlington which are so close to the northern states. I know this not the image many want to have of Lee, but as with so much in our history, we tend to gloss over the unpleasant parts.

As to Grant owning slaves, I have heard he did but never had that confirmed. I doubt he did by the start of the war because at that point I understand Grant was pretty down and out financially and would have had to sell any slave he did own some time prior.

As for Lincoln, the "Great Emancipator", don't get me started. >:(

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II

Smudge said:
Tony66 said:
texastee2007 said:
Monty said:
Arlington National Cemetery civil war dead are buried in Robert E. Lee's front yard. Monty

they buried the blacks in his wife's Rose garden so that Robert E. Lee and his wife would never return home again.

Please forgive me if this is an --deleted-- question or remark but I don't understand whythey would bury blacks in the wifes Rose garden. My understanding is that Robert E Lee was not a supporter of slavery and that he had no slaves even before the Civil War started and that (I'm not positive about this part) his wife was either assisting escaped slaves or was teaching escaped slaves (both against the law). I also thought that Ulysses S Grant was made to give up his slaves at the end of the Civil War and that Mary Todd Lincoln was very pro slavery. With that said, I don't understand why blacks buried in the garden would cause Mr and Mrs not to return home. Can anyone please explain this to me. Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone, I just thought maybe I understood some things wrong.

I am not certain about slaves being buried in the rose garden, but Arlington, the Lee's home, was confiscated by the federal government at the end of the war and that is why they did not return home. One of his sons was eventually able to negotiate a settlement with the government for the loss of the property, but that was some time after Robert E. Lee died.

Contrary to belief, Lee did own many slaves who worked at Arlington. He was no abolitionist, nor was his wife. It has been documented that when a slave attempted escape, Lee himself did not hesitate to have the slave brutally whipped, nearly to the point of death. It was not an uncommon practice. The fear was that lenient treatment of escaping slaves would only serve to encourage others to do the same, especially at places like Arlington which are so close to the northern states. I know this not the image many want to have of Lee, but as with so much in our history, we tend to gloss over the unpleasant parts.

As to Grant owning slaves, I have heard he did but never had that confirmed. I doubt he did by the start of the war because at that point I understand Grant was pretty down and out financially and would have had to sell any slave he did own some time prior.

As for Lincoln, the "Great Emancipator", don't get me started. >:(

uh oh, now you've done it, now I'm going to have to look into something I thought I already knew or go and learn something new altogether.... thank you :read2:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

I don't know of the novel of which you speak,but it could have been written as a novel sometime in the past. Very few people are aware of the actual things that happened in WW2. Most was kept secret and out of the publics view,just as it is today. Many things that happen daily are not reported by the news agencies around the world. Most of the gov't, and especially the military operations are never made public.Only through first hand knowledge of someone being there is the only leak of the information. Most were sworn to secrecy, just as they are today. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread