***STRANGE FACTS THAT MOST DONT KNOW

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Re: ***STRANGE FACTS THAT MOST DON'T KNOW

Clive Cussler has done well extrapolating and novelising rumor and theory into best selling books . Like to read his books , myself . Reason for 'what if' thought ; not gospel to bank on .

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

I have all Cusslers books, the one you're refering to is "Atlantis found". From what i recall it's mainly about the secret Nazi arctic base, and U-2015, the sub' supposedly used by Martin Bormann to transport millions in gold and gems to Argentina,along with numerous top ranking Nazi officials plus families.
Don't recall any mention of "flying saucers" or "space craft" though. :dontknow:

PS.
Norwegian commandos from the British SOE (Special Operations Executive) Blew up and stopped the "heavy water" plant at Telemark,Norway from producing. This was the only plant in Europe capable of producing at the time,which is why the Germans turned to Japan later.
(Kirk Douglas and Richard Harris did a fine job with the film "the heroes of Telemark"!)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

packerbacker said:
Back during the horse and wagon days the haulers would carry a bell on their wagons so they could be heard at night. If you broke down, and someone stopped to help you out, it was custom to give up your bell to the person that helped you. The term "I'll be there with bells on" means not only will I be there but I'll be helping others along the way.
Early freight haulers in the West would attach bells to their horse or oxen harnesses to warn travelers they were coming up or down narrow paths or trails in canyons.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Shortstack said:
Old Town said:
Frankn said:
Germany exploded two atomic bombs during WWii

Can you expand on this? Never heard of such a thing.

Thanks, OT

I don't think any of their A-bombs actually went nuclear , because they didn't have the Heavy Water to finish their "build". That's why Hitler sent a submarine to Japan to get a load of the Heavy Water. It was the only ingredient Germany did not have and it was quicker to just get it from someone who already had it. Lucky for the world that that particular sub was sunk in route. If Germany had gotten that load of HW, they would have finished THEIR bomb before WE did. I think history NOW tells us that Japan had a bomb, but didn't use it because they didn't have a way to deliver it to any good target.
Germany was working on a hydrogen or fusion bomb, which uses heavy water.

Allies beat them by creating the fission bomb, using uranium, created by splitting uranium atom.

Hydrogen bomb MUCH more powerful. Bikini Atoll was a hydrogen bomb. (Scared the bejeezus out of scientists when it started using ocean water as a source of hydrogen.) Nagasaki and Hiroshima were simpler fusion bombs. Why simpler? It takes a fusion bomb to start a fission bomb.

Access to ANY bomb should be illegal for children who mispronounce "nuclear" as "nukyer" or "nukier." (Take away their toy guns, too: could get them shot by police. Probably shouldn't let them run for president either, just as a homeland security issue. Oopsie, too late.)

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

TUBERALE: I bet the Indians loved those bells!

I got the info. about the German atom bombs from a doc. on the History Channel last mo.

Have you noticed you don"t hear anything about the neutron or cobalt bombs mentioned by the government lately?

Saddletramp

Greenie
Feb 2, 2009
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
MXT

The Human Mind:

I cdnuolt blveiee
taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the
ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This
is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

saddle tramp: Wow! At first glance I thought you were writing in a different language and then I just scanned the words quickly and got about 80% of them. Enough to understand. About the most interesting post I've ever seen. Very neat and a great way for me to use great curse words in forum posts. I love to swear in interesting ways. You've opened new doors for me. Let's see the software edit out the good words now. LOL

Old Town

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back in 1969 Richard Nixon ordered 2 nuclear long range artillery cannons sent to Vietnam up in I Corp just below the DMZ they had a fire range of 30 miles a 14 inch round and powerful enough to take out 3 city blocks each round , they never made it past the Philippines aboard a Navy ship they were ordered back TG most likely if used that would of started WW3 with the Soviet Union and Red China against us . Tricky Dicky at his best :laughing7: Dd60

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

deepdig, I'm no fan of Nixon but at least Nixon was an honest tyrant. He wanted us to be a superpower and was willing to act like one. Vietnam was not our fight, but if you decide to fight, go all out. No kids on the ground getting mangled. No more Civil War charges and artillery duels. Just nuke Hanoi and have done with it. To hell with China and the USSR.

This will be my war policy when I run for King.

Old Town

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Frankn said:
TUBERALE: I bet the Indians loved those bells!

I got the info. about the German atom bombs from a doc. on the History Channel last mo.

Have you noticed you don"t hear anything about the neutron or cobalt bombs mentioned by the government lately?
And not need to mention how to make one here. The theory behind the cobalt bomb makes them even scarier than a hydrogen bomb set off on a lake surface.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

There are more truffles species found in North American than Europe. Really! No matter what state you live in (except maybe Hawaii) there is at least one or more truffle species that has already been found.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

Odd Bullet, Shot and Cartridge Info

Rifle barrel inside diameter is measured in caliber which is a measure of an inch (.50 caliber is .5 or 1/2 an inch) or in NATO metric units (7.62mm = .30 caliber

5.56mm = .223 caliber) but shotguns are measured in gauges of course, and this is where things get strange.

The most popular shotgun gauges are 10, 12, 16, and 20....................... We'll get back to .410's later!

When shotguns were invented, the way they were "gauged" was by how many lead balls the size of the bore were required to make a pound.

The larger the bore the fewer balls; a 10 gauge took 10 lead balls the size of the bore to make a pound, a 12 gauge took 12 balls, etc........

Now back to the .410, now of course it didn't take 410 lead balls to make a pound........ The .410 gauge is a misnomer, for .410 is the caliber, .410 of an inch.

NATO measures the bullet and cartridge assembly in this manner: 7.62mm (diameter) x (by) 51mm (length), which is equivalent to a .308 caliber cartridge.

If folks read this, I may add more cool facts.

SkyPilot

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II

Sky Pilot said:
Odd Bullet, Shot and Cartridge Info

Rifle barrel inside diameter is measured in caliber which is a measure of an inch (.50 caliber is .5 or 1/2 an inch) or in NATO metric units (7.62mm = .30 caliber

5.56mm = .223 caliber) but shotguns are measured in gauges of course, and this is where things get strange.

The most popular shotgun gauges are 10, 12, 16, and 20....................... We'll get back to .410's later!

When shotguns were invented, the way they were "gauged" was by how many lead balls the size of the bore were required to make a pound.

The larger the bore the fewer balls; a 10 gauge took 10 lead balls the size of the bore to make a pound, a 12 gauge took 12 balls, etc........

Now back to the .410, now of course it didn't take 410 lead balls to make a pound........ The .410 gauge is a misnomer, for .410 is the caliber, .410 of an inch.

NATO measures the bullet and cartridge assembly in this manner: 7.62mm (diameter) x (by) 51mm (length), which is equivalent to a .308 caliber cartridge.

If folks read this, I may add more cool facts.

SkyPilot

I cant speak for thers but I know I liked it, would gladly read more stuff like that.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

Subscribe to "Guns & Ammo"....they have pages and pages of riveting information like that! :-X

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The invasion of Denmark lasted less than six hours and was the shortest military campaign conducted by the Germans during WWII.

Now for a Dane i am almost ashamed of that fact lol

USTiger

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

USTiger said:
The invasion of Denmark lasted less than six hours and was the shortest military campaign conducted by the Germans during WWII.

USTiger

Don't feel ashamed, they came when everyone was sleeping :tongue3:

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53 said:
USTiger said:

USTiger

Don't feel ashamed, they came when everyone was sleeping :tongue3:

True but what can we expect with only a handful of soldiers defending the border.

USTiger

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

No need to feel ashamed, Tiger. The French couldn't decide whether to fight fully FOR Germany or quit on the spot. So they did both. We should have sacked Paris before Berlin.

Old Town

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

Here is a bit more neat gun/ammo information.

Everyone has heard the expression "Don't go off half cocked" but few realize how it came about, and this is how:
To load a muzzle loader, flintlock or percussion cap, the hammer is pulled back to "half cocked" position in order to prevent an accidental firing or dropping of the hammer.
Pulling the trigger will not drop the hammer for it must be at "full cock" to engage the trigger mechanism.
Obviously you wouldn't want to get into a fight with the gun "half cocked", because it wouldn't fire!
Thus the meaning and origin of "Don't go off half cocked".

There is another saying while not very popular anymore, that most likely is related to flintlock weapons of old, and that is this; ""That was just a flash in the pan, wasn't it?"
Meaning "That sure didn't last long" or "That wasn't very effective!" Here's how it came about:
When loading flintlocks, after pouring in the powder and ramming in the patch and shot, a person must "prime the pan"
by filling the pan with powder to catch the spark of the flint on the frizzen and carry it into the barrel.
Naturally the powder was often low grade or damp, or for whatever reason just didn't catch the charge in the barrel.
This was just a "flash in the pan", or "Not very effective"!

I'll try to think of some more, Tony66!

Regards, SkyPilot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread