Strange metal with what looks like battery acid

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody, over the past few weeks one area I've been detecting an area that has been actively used since the late 1600's of which the main attraction there for me were the mills that were there from the early 1700's up until almost 1900. Every now and then I dig a target that comes up on my detector as silver, which on my detector lead also comes up as silver. The pieces of metal in question I believe to be lead, but they have been coming up with what to me looks like battery acid that would build up on the terminal posts of a car battery. It's usually all over the metal and is a white and blue powdery substance. First thought for me was an old lead acid battery but upon examining the pieces they almost look like pieces of metal molding or something? Are their any types of metal that as they weather typically leave this type of substance? Just curious as I've never seen anything like this before anywhere else? Thanks for any help or ideas ahead of time

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
cam9457 said:
Hello everybody, over the past few weeks one area I've been detecting an area that has been actively used since the late 1600's of which the main attraction there for me were the mills that were there from the early 1700's up until almost 1900. Every now and then I dig a target that comes up on my detector as silver, which on my detector lead also comes up as silver. The pieces of metal in question I believe to be lead, but they have been coming up with what to me looks like battery acid that would build up on the terminal posts of a car battery. It's usually all over the metal and is a white and blue powdery substance. First thought for me was an old lead acid battery but upon examining the pieces they almost look like pieces of metal molding or something? Are their any types of metal that as they weather typically leave this type of substance? Just curious as I've never seen anything like this before anywhere else? Thanks for any help or ideas ahead of time
??? ??? ???Do you have any pictures?? ???

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I don't, my sorry excuse for a computer keeps dumping off the internet every time I try to post a picture.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
check if you have native zinc in the area, ive found it here, heavy like lead but shines up better, has white and greyish build up on it

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Could be any number of non ferrous alloys, their corrode through electrolysis or oxidation rather then rusting like iron. Lead is very mailable (plyable) and will bend quite a bit without breaking zinc will crack when bent. Zinc has a high lead content so is similar. Alum will grow white fuss too but is light.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could be it Thompy, the build up reminds me of the powdery stuff you might find around a corroded battery terminal.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i would take a pic but still havent figured out how to post them yet, well to cut them down to size, will have to figure it out some time, i couldn't figure out what mine was, so i brought it to work, we have a gun that analyzes weld materials, it was 98.6 percent zinc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread