Strange noise

HiiiQ

Nov 6, 2004
Is anyone experienced in roman tunnels/chambers? Last month I went to check up on a location where we used to clear out a cave a couple of years ago and i heard about 8 loud bangs coming from deep underground about 5 minuetes apart.(i was standing outside) Yesterday I went there again and I heard it again,only this time it was 3 successive bangs like a large piece of rock falling & rolling. I've heard rumors that at some places people have heard the booby traps working underground and figured this is the only possible explanation. Strange thing is that we did'nt hear anything when we used to work on the cave, and we were there for 3 weeks. ???

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Booby traps wouldn't go on for days like that. Has there been an unusual amount of rain lately? Are there earthquakes in your area? I've done a lot of caving, and there's no way I'd go in the one you're describing. Sounds like there's some erosion and shifting going on. No amount of treasure would be worth it. Take care and be careful.

L

lookstwice

are you in an area that has a limestone underlayment...by that, i mean in the whole county or state? rock can carry sounds and vibrations for miles and will still sound close...of course limestone is also prone to create layers of caverns so it's possible that the sounds were indeed from below...has the cave been mapped?

D

Diane L.

I used to live on a lake and crossed it in the winter a mile-two mile across lake,It made banging and cracking noises all the time If you hear that stay away,Could be bats also! Check a land servey sheet it will give you lots of information on above and below levels of that area.Tress-passing on government land is illegal and can get you big bad trouble if caught.Be carefull and do a lot of home work and reseach before you even try this dangerous project.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread