Strange Rock Found!

krowe202

Jun 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rock.jpg
Found in father in laws yard looking for opinions and a geologist! I am in michigan

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Possibly fossilized eggs of some bird or dinosaur showing a cross-section of the shell and intact yolk in what appears to be Limestone!

By the way, this is not the correct forum for this item and question. Please ask a Moderator to move the Thread to either the "Fossils" forum or "Rocks/Gems" forum.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wherenext1961

Apr 20, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Mine Lab pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool. Sorry not even close to a geologist, but I agree that it looks like limestone with an inclusion. A great place to see lots of different rocks and mineral examples from Michigan and all over the world is the Seaman Museum, in Houghton, Michigan. It is part of Michigan Tech and a place you may have an opportunity to show it to someone with a geology background.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is the same type of rock they process for driveways. So what did you stick on it?

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I found these online and thought they are fairly similar. The first pic shows fossilized dinosaur eggs intact and the second pic shows a fossilized egg that was broken open showing a similar cross-section with yolk intact.

Frank

Fossilized Dinosaur Egg.jpg Fossilized Dinosaur Egg 2.jpg

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find. It would be something of a find if it is indeed a fossilized egg. Some closer pictures of the objects in the stone would be helpful. From what I can see there appears to be banding in one of them~ cant tell about the other. Its possible that they are concretions in the host rock~ they may have formed in the rock but if its limestone its possible that they were formed before the host rock and simply got trapped in it. A geologist would be able to tell you more at the local university or you may find good info from a local rock and mineral club.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd also lean towards concretion due to the "halo" around it. But then, fossils aren't my strong point. DD got a good idea to have someone look at it in person.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to what its worth~ have to find a collector to know. With cleaning and a bit of sprucing up you can try flogging it at a rock and gem show. If its not to large anyway :) I occasionally take my goodies to rock shows and carry them thru as trade items. Occasionally I'll get a sale. If they are fossilized eggs they could be worth quite a bit to the right people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions