bay of fundy

transcendental

May 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My mother in law just came back from her trip to nova scotia, asked her to bring me back some rocks. Here's what she brought from a beach at the bay of fundy and a couple from the salmon river, and my guesses at what they are ( nothing special but I'm still happy to have them and she was wondering what they were, she brought back a bunch for herself too. )

Chalcedony ( wet and dry)

8QFD4Lr.jpg

DFIxgOg.jpg

No clue but the band goes 360° around the stone (wet and dry... sparkles in the light, guessing high mica content)

ZbIHWLQ.jpg

p229hIG.jpg

Again no clue but nice quartz bands

pWDucRp.jpg

Granite with a really cool weathered pattern

cIOIBSX.jpg

Shists?

wWXTFzJ.jpg

IS0BOYs.jpg

Side view:
8WgxKAN.jpg

Top:
GwSkW91.jpg

Green schist, top and side with nice bit of quartz:

3J9VWf3.jpg

jvlS4Eu.jpg

Jaspers? Glassy smooth feel to them

wDPbWxf.jpg

Picture jasper? Was the only orange rock on the beach ( top and bottom)
Iiq38gd.jpg
xwJetlX.jpg

Green jasper? Has that same Glassy feel. Had to get it wet to show details

WLqoWzi.jpg

Granite, ones a nice little pocket stone

HYwSlf2.jpg

Size comparison with a quarter
iWPt5EL.jpg

Last edited:

wherenext1961

Apr 20, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Mine Lab pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a neat idea, I like your idea to get rocks from places that other people visit. We collect rocks on the south shore of Lake Superior. Many of your collection look like something we might find on the beach there too. The rock that is reddish with the white strip looks simular to what we call Jacobsville sandstone. Many buildings in the Sault Saint Marie area are made from this type stone. It was mined when they were making the power canal. On the beach it looks alot like yours with the nice polishing that the water provides making it nice and smooth with no sharp edges.
How do you use/display the rocks?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
transcendental

transcendental

May 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my rock collection, one of my old Co workers took a vacation to Jamaica and I asked him to pick me up a couple pebbles from the beach. Have a bit of the world in my house. I label the undersides and for the longest time they were randomly around my house on shelves, tables, windowsills, in jars you name it there were rocks lol but my collection got a little too big and it was kindof a pain to dust with rocks scattered around. What I ended up doing was going to the hardware store and buying a thin piece of wood painting it to match the colors of the room and using elmers glue to stick the rocks to it. It's non permanent, just soak in water and the rocks will pop back off but more durable than hot glue would have been. I cut the wood to fit in my windowsills and lined the bottom with felt, and now when I need to clean the windows and dust the sills I just pick up the piece of wood and all the rocks come with it. There's still a few that are either too big or too nice to be crammed in with the bunch but it's much more manageable now.
7MEsMya.jpg

This one my kid knocked off the sill and the wood split in half. All the rocks in the glass container were on the board. I sanded down the edges reattached all I could and the rest is where it is. Oh well
7g8FWId.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree the red one with a band in it looks like sandstone.

Some of the rocks with quartz banding may be breccia.

Your greenschist might be more close to greenstone.

Your first to jasper suspects might be:
The banded: Ignimbrite
The other: Conglomerate

Your picture jasper may be quartz.

The glassy feel may come from the worn smooth surface of the stone...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
transcendental

transcendental

May 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandstone, greenstone, ignimbrite and conglomerate sound right. The orange on I'm sure isnt a quartz, the darker divots are Glassy smooth, the corner feel rough and i see no signs of crystaline structure. Tried to take closer pics
wDZqS3T.jpg

PNTvCNF.jpg

The two smaller quartz banded ones one kindof resembles the sandstone only slightly dif color, the other I was thinking a fine grain granite. Took more pics
z3D2rtc.jpg
SdT799W.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread