Strange Signal - Strange Find

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure those in Europe are somewhat used to finding these, but these showed up half an inch down under a layer of sand in the middle of nowhere. I am in S.W. Texas, searching along a long dried creek bed. So, how in the world did these get here?

1) 10 Euro Cent - 2006 - RF

2) 10 Euro Cent - 2004 - Eire

As they were side by side and shallow I got a strong signal. The first thing I saw glinting in the sun was GOLD. Be still my heart But, alas, a couple of dimes that are not spendable here. They are slightly larger than an American dime and slightly smaller than a nickel. An interesting Saturday morning.

Euro-1.jpg

Upvote 5

Shwicken

Jan 2, 2013
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, My Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is an out of place find. Somebody probably went on vacation there, brought them back and dropped them while hiking or who knows what. Are they gold or just goldish looking?

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is an out of place find. Somebody probably went on vacation there, brought them back and dropped them while hiking or who knows what. Are they gold or just goldish looking?

I am not sure why anyone would "vacation" several miles from any paved road, on a private ranch, in the desert. However, anything is possible. I do know that some people have been allowed to hunt the area in season.

They looked gold in the sun and the rush of the moment, but they say '10 Euro Cent' and look more like brass or bronze. I think they are like our clad dimes. Can anyone on the other side of the pond help here?

Shwicken

Jan 2, 2013
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant they may have vacationed in Europe and brought them back.

Shwicken

Jan 2, 2013
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can trade them in for american currency if you want the money but the exchange rate isnt what it used to be.

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From WikiPedia:

"10 cent euro coins have a value of one tenth of a euro and are composed of an alloy called Nordic gold. All coins have a common reverse side and country-specific national sides. The coin has been used since 2002, with the present common side design dating from 2007."

A Euro is worth about 1.3 times a dollar, so I have .20 Euro times 1.3 for 26 cents American. I did better than I thought!!!

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread