Strategy Backfire

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
When I'm out half hunting I generally stop at a lot of banks and buy $50-100 worth of pennies / nickels / dimes. At the end of the day I have whatever halves I found, plus usually $30-40 in cents, $150-200 in nickels and $200-300 in dimes. But I only grab a few rolls of each at each stop. My theory is that I'm really hunting for CWR scores and I usually will check a roll or two before I leave to determine if I need to go back in and buy the rest. Today I stopped at a total of 3 banks. Got a box of halves and scored a lone '64-D. Stopped at another bank. No halves but I ended up with $35 in MWR dimes, plus some nickels and pennies. When I crack the 7 dime rolls open I end up with a nice '42 Merc, a smokin' nice '55-D and two '64's. I'm going to try to head back in the morning, hope the teller I got them from is working and try to buy a crap load more.... Some times my strategy seem great, other times it seems idiotic. Also scored a '44-P war nick. 1 nickel, 4 dimes and 1 90% half for the week. Haven't opened the pennies yet but most of them are BU rolls. That's been happening to me a lot lately.

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I'm out half hunting I generally stop at a lot of banks and buy $50-100 worth of pennies / nickels / dimes. At the end of the day I have whatever halves I found, plus usually $30-40 in cents, $150-200 in nickels and $200-300 in dimes. But I only grab a few rolls of each at each stop. My theory is that I'm really hunting for CWR scores and I usually will check a roll or two before I leave to determine if I need to go back in and buy the rest. Today I stopped at a total of 3 banks. Got a box of halves and scored a lone '64-D. Stopped at another bank. No halves but I ended up with $35 in MWR dimes, plus some nickels and pennies. When I crack the 7 dime rolls open I end up with a nice '42 Merc, a smokin' nice '55-D and two '64's. I'm going to try to head back in the morning, hope the teller I got them from is working and try to buy a crap load more.... Some times my strategy seem great, other times it seems idiotic. Also scored a '44-P war nick. 1 nickel, 4 dimes and 1 90% half for the week. Haven't opened the pennies yet but most of them are BU rolls. That's been happening to me a lot lately.

Nice finds! I haven't found much silver lately... I did find a bunch of silver certificates today though. :)

Good luck on getting more dimes!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Nice work on the silver cert's. I haven't found one in years. I went back to the only branch that was open, found the same teller as yesterday and bought here out of dimes. Total skunk.

The silver dimes must have come from a branch that's closed today. Monday AM either the wife or I will be inline early AM to try and find the rest of these mystery dimes.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice work on the silver cert's. I haven't found one in years. I went back to the only branch that was open, found the same teller as yesterday and bought here out of dimes. Total skunk.

The silver dimes must have come from a branch that's closed today. Monday AM either the wife or I will be inline early AM to try and find the rest of these mystery dimes.

Good luck, I hope you find them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread