String lines

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Here's a diagram of how I use string lines to keep me from wandering, and assuring I cover every inch of the site.
Don't laugh at the drawing, I cant draw with a mouse for crap.
I use two lines about 50 ft long about 4 ft apart, hunt down this line and then flip flop one line over the other.
Get the Idea? Some times I'll use just one string in a circular pattern. Just stake one end of the string down, let out 4 or 5 ft of string and walk around in a circle. Then let out more string and so on. I don't use string lines all the time, but when it looks like a good place for them, they definitely make a big difference in the amount of finds. Hope this helps someone.
Dano

Attachments

• string lines.JPG
    string lines.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 267

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Those ideas sound real good. This is a good subject to discuss and I am anxious to hear how everyone else does it as well. Maybe you can also use some of those plastic shafted marking flags that the utility companies use to mark the location of their underground lines.

GL & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I've always suspected that I've been going around in circles, now I can use the string to prove it. ;D
Seriously, gridding is one of the best ways to thoroughly search an area. Don't forget to overlap your swings by 1/2 and slow down. Getting in a hurry can cause you to miss a great find. It seems like the best finds are usually a little deeper and also small in size.
Good post dano, about the only thing I can draw is a breath once in a while.lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread