Study: Chemotherapy May Lead To Less Peaceful Death

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Study: Chemotherapy May Lead To Less Peaceful Death « CBS Atlanta

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta) – More than half of end-stage cancer patients receive chemotherapy during the last few months of their life, and those who received such treatment were more likely to die in a hospital intensive care unit, hooked to a ventilator, rather than at home as they would have preferred, says a new study

Patients were also less likely to have discussed their end of life wishes with their oncologist compared to other end-stage cancer patients who opted not to continue chemotherapy.

Researchers say doctors have a hard time initiating conversations with their patients, especially those dying from metastatic cancer.

“There’s a subtle dance that happens between oncologist and patient,” Dr. Alexi Wright, an assistant professor of medicine at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and the study’s lead author, told the Boston Globe. “Where doctors don’t want to broach the subject of dying, especially in younger patients, because it makes those patients think we’re giving up on them.”

Wright and her team of researchers studied 386 terminally ill cancer patients. They found that the 56 percent that had chemotherapy tended to be younger, better educated, richer, and more optimistic about their prognosis.

The patients died within an average of four months after participating in the study.

Sixty-five percent died in their preferred place; as compared to 80 percent of those who chose to stop treatments. The researchers found that those taking chemotherapy were more likely to die in a hospital intensive care unit rather than at home and were more likely to get placed on a ventilator. Most were referred to hospice within a week of their death.

“Doctors are human beings,” Wright said. “And sometimes we fail to have the clarity to determine when our patients are dying. Andy even when we do, we may not want to give up on treatments as this study suggests is the case.”

Wright is hoping this study will make more doctors aware that patients who receive chemotherapy may get a false sense of hope and be denied a more peaceful death.

The study was published in this week’s edition of the British Medical Journal.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Interesting article. I have been in the hospital twice in the last month for blood clots causes by my chemo medicine. Got clots in both lungs, and a monster 10 inch clot in 1 leg. The doctor in the hospital has no idea how to talk to anyone other than another doctor, he spends too much time looking at the ceiling trying to think of something brilliant to say. As far as the less peaceful death aspect of the article, from the time I was diagnosed with cancer, I knew I would be in my 80's when I die, and I will die from being shot in the back by some 30 year old woman's jealous husband. ;)

We all have to have a goal, ha ha ha.
Bill

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I knew I would be in my 80's when I die, and I will die from being shot in the back by some 30 year old woman's jealous husband. ;)
Bill

Starting next Friday (3/14/14) I get to spend a week in the hospital. I really look forward to tubes down my nose, bed pans, and understaffed nursing. No TNet either! I've never spent hospital time. And I'm YOUNG! At least until something like this comes and slaps you awake...

Routine stuff, just taking half my colon.... No risk of death except for withdrawal from technology...

And, as for you my friend - Keep the faith, and surround yourself with your angels!

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hope everything goes well. If you think you might feel up to it, and have a laptop or tablet, most hospitals have wifi., As for me, I still have 25 years to wait.:).
It's kind of like a kid waiting on Christmas.

Best of luck,
Bill

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope everything goes well. If you think you might feel up to it, and have a laptop or tablet, most hospitals have wifi., As for me, I still have 25 years to wait.:).
It's kind of like a kid waiting on Christmas.
Best of luck,
Bill

Thanks Bill, and the same to you! All I can have there is my cell - so far - and the doctor had a moment of pause when I asked him if I could have that. Signs all over the hospital saying no cells....

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck deep. Don't come out sicker then you went in In a prayer Buddie

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006