paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Completed unexpected, actually the entire site was unexpected! I started looking through a new section of woods that I suspect could have early 1700's settlements. The rock walls certainly seem older than the 1800's and there are patches of fruit trees around the woods. Unfortunately I wasn't having much luck locating older sites, but there's an obvious set of two foundations next to the walking trail. I figured they'd been pounded since they're literally right there. The first is a large and shallow square and then the other is sturdier and built into the hill, but smaller in size. Figuring the smaller one was the house I did a few circles just for fun and as expected there wasn't a single target in the ground. Annoyed I walked back to what I thought was the barn and decided to do a loop since the detector was on anyways. Seems I was wrong on several counts!

DSC07318.JPG

There were relics everywhere and most were obvious signals right near the surface. This definitely wasn't the barn and maybe neither site had been detected or maybe everyone else figured exactly like I did that the barn wasn't worth the time. Whatever the reason I'm glad I gave it a chance! Not a super old site, but a great variety of 1860's-1880's relics.

DSC07320.JPG

Above is a Victorian picture border and it's quite ornate with flowers and columns stamped into the brass. I also found something that answered a long-standing series of mystery relics. Maybe everyone else already knows what they are, but I find these little brass rings all over the place. Too plain for jewelry and too thin for horse tack and I'd been told they were gaskets, but I still wasn't sure that was it. I finally found one in context!

DSC07317.JPG

Suspenders buckle ring; in retrospect it's obvious, but I'm glad I have one that I can point to and say for sure that's what they are. :laughing7:

One coin, a nice 1864 IHP:

DSC07316.JPG

But now for the best finds of the day! This next one has been on my bucket list for some time:

DSC07302.JPG

A wax seal! Out of the ground it was completely encased in hard clay, but I saw the purple stone and knew it was special.

DSC07297.JPG DSC07303.JPG DSC07304.JPG

No engraving on the stone (which is probably glass since amethyst wouldn't scratch as easily), but it cleaned up very well and a little lemon juice revealed much of the gold gilt had survived.

DSC07305.JPG DSC07306.JPG DSC07307.JPG

It has a very nice flower motif all round and the only issue is that one of the legs is bent up. Looks like contemporary damage and maybe that's why it was lost or discarded. The royal purple and gold are beautiful together and it must have been something when it was new.

DSC07308.JPG DSC07309.JPG

The weeds were pretty high and its hard to top something like that so I was hiking back through the woods and swinging the detector blindly. Literally, I didn't even have the remote mounted to the Deus, I was just listening for iron grunts in case I randomly walked over a homesite. In the middle of nowhere I got a high tone, but no clue as to the VDI I flipped over the dirt anyways and to my shock there was a large silver disc:

DSC07310.JPG DSC07312.JPG

Talk about random chance 1908-D half dollar; this is only my fourth barber half ever! Must have been a hunter drop since there was absolutely nothing else around. That's about all the luck you can reasonably expect for one day so I headed home happy! :laughing7:

Upvote 40

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt even though it's about 80 years later than your usual sites. I had found a number of those annoying rings before I finally found a suspender clip with one and realized what they were.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt even though it's about 80 years later than your usual sites. I had found a number of those annoying rings before I finally found a suspender clip with one and realized what they were.

:laughing7: Yeah, I've been pretty spoiled lately. But cool stuff turns up at 19th century sites too so it's always worth a shot. This time it definitely payed off!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect it's more likely the end off a watch chain or similar, rather than a seal matrix. I would think it wouldn't have a stone in the end, but, instead would have a monogram, logo, or family crest if it was for sealing wax. Cool find though!:icon_thumleft:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that seal is amazing! I feel like there's been a few seals on here with blank stamps. I wonder why there was not some kind of image. Serious Month maker right there! The barber half!? It doesn't get any better than that! Thanks for sharing!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats has to be the coolest one I've seen nice job

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt, congrats on the nice seal! :occasion14:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Finds. Good write-up. Always a surprise to pull a silver half dollar from the ground. :icon_thumright:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just your FOURTH Barber half...!? Heck, I've found that just this week! Lol, kidding of course...I have, let's see now...uhhh carry the two, divide by 3.14, which brings my grand total to...NONE. Kidding aside, those are some awesome saves! Congrats, Ddf.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt. Wax seal is crazy cool. Can never go wrong with a barber half either. Congrats!!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds, love the wax seal!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt, that's a fantastic seal, really nice silver & IHP, Great suspender clip, congrats on all & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread