STUNNING ROMAN SILVER - Takes us to new yearly record...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our first 2 fields were a blind hunt & a blank other than 50 cal bullets. We moved after 1 hour to a very large field that had 3 Archaeological researched crop-marks. Previously the land-owner had no idea about them & he was pretty clued up with all the other 'known' sites on his land including one that's been night-hawked by many detectorists for years. As this is re-establishing an old permission from 2011 which he had forgotten he had given, it was only a 2 day offer. I guess it's hard to gain trust when you have idiots do his land on mass in the day! However, after showing him today's stuff the gate is now wide open.:thumbsup: We will see what all the fuss is about after harvest & beat those idiots into the ground, well you know what I mean, they are probably bigger than me but they are not so fast & though, so game on.:metaldetector::laughing7:
I got really lucky because the crop-marks seem to be mostly Iron Age, & the last smallest one we tried had the Silver.:headbang: Never would have found it otherwise.
This takes us to 28 Roman Silver this year, our best year ever.8-)
Did just less than 4 hours;

17th C Applied Bottle Top?
Roman Fibula (Brooch)
14th C Medieval Buckle
Iron Age (Celtic) Bead - Giant one, our biggest example
Silver Siliqua of Gratian AD375 - Our only silver Album example of this Emperor. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 58

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just cannot get over the condition of that silver!!!! Absolutely stunning and it must feel amazing when you guys find a killer example of one that you don't yet have to add to the album. Great job guys

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just cannot get over the condition of that silver!!!! Absolutely stunning and it must feel amazing when you guys find a killer example of one that you don't yet have to add to the album. Great job guys
Yeap, I was having a small run of losing to Cru'Dad's finds of the day. So I wondered what I was building up to....These period coins are normally heavily clipped, so to get one minted in Germany, get here & then immediately get lost without clipping is rare, although the coin itself is a common attribution.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking siliqua Cru, excellent strike and condition. I had never heard of a Siliqua until I dug one (Honorius 395 AD) on my trip over last spring.

Certainly don't see many posted, so big congrats.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning. Congrats on a super nice silver of that emperor!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking siliqua Cru, excellent strike and condition. I had never heard of a Siliqua until I dug one (Honorius 395 AD) on my trip over last spring.

Certainly don't see many posted, so big congrats.
Honorius makes sense, as I have quite a few of those, & if I had to guess which Emperor you found that would be it. Was it clipped? If not, bonus!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely stunning coin Cru. Congrats on another exceptional save.

Well played sir!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW-You never cease to amaze with your finds and that one is a beauty!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a stellar find there!! what condition...drooling right now..

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honorius makes sense, as I have quite a few of those, & if I had to guess which Emperor you found that would be it. Was it clipped? If not, bonus!

Yes I believe mine was clipped. There is enough info left in the legend that my digging pal (roman history buff) was able to ID in about ten seconds. I was told that digging a siliqua was much less common than digging a denarius, so I was thrilled with it despite the clipping. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479163642.009835.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479163666.348482.jpg

Congrats again, yours is an exquisite example...and older than mine haha!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding example Cru. Was your gripe with the nighthawks or archaeologists?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I believe mine was clipped. There is enough info left in the legend that my digging pal (roman history buff) was able to ID in about ten seconds. I was told that digging a siliqua was much less common than digging a denarius, so I was thrilled with it despite the clipping. View attachment 1381334 View attachment 1381336

Congrats again, yours is an exquisite example...and older than mine haha!

Yes, these later silver are slightly rarer, but as you can see, normally clipped.
Still I take nothing from your short stay find which only increases your amazing luck & mega respectful effort.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding example Cru. Was your gripe with the nighthawks or archaeologists?

I have no gripe with the Archies, even those that have one with us. We improve their odds to find great sites. They work with us or against us, & I know who wins every-time. Both of us.:occasion14: So in answer to the question - the idiot nighthawks.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, these later silver are slightly rarer, but as you can see, normally clipped.
Still I take nothing from your short stay find which only increases your amazing luck & mega respectful effort.

Luck? Nah, was all skill LOL

Seeing your Siliqua today brought back memories, and made me want to jump on a plane. You live in a metal detectorist's paradise. Keep digging and posting!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck? Nah, was all skill LOL

Seeing your Siliqua today brought back memories, and made me want to jump on a plane. You live in a metal detectorist's paradise. Keep digging and posting!
True & I'm not moving anywhere.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no gripe with the Archies, even those that have one with us. We improve their odds to find great sites. They work with us or against us, & I know who wins every-time. Both of us.:occasion14: So in answer to the question - the idiot nighthawks.

I live in an area which had a heavy American Civil War presence and I don't even waste my time asking for permission around here because nighthawks have ruined it. I have to drive a minimum of 30 miles to detect because of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread