Success at the hard-rock coin mine, nickel trifecta and Standing Liberty quarter

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I had an appetite for finding me some treasure, and after investigating an old claim I came home with some promising samples of coin-ore, as well as some loose alluvial specimens of a promising age and composition and associated anthropogenic baubles; good indicators for worthwhile deposits.

102_0034.JPG

A fine specimen of coin-bearing lode material, with a 1925 silver quarter on the left above my thumb and 1919 wheat on the right. Incidentally, upon crushing and assay, a 1941-S Jefferson Nickel was also revealed.

102_0036.JPG

After an obnoxious cleaning and refining process, I was left with:

2x 1919, 1934-D, 1945, and 1947-S wheats
1912-D V-Nickel
1926 Buffalo in relatively decent shape
1941-S Jefferson
1925 Standing Liberty
And an amusing old "Home Sweet Home" Indian in a teepee figurine

102_0038.JPG

102_0040.JPG

Not the best values I've ever seen but you'll hear no complaints from this miner! 8-)

Also, a bit earlier yesterday I had hit the goodwill and found some pewter and a nice ugly piece of weighted Sterling for 50 cents:

102_0044.JPG

After putting the poor thing out of its misery it yielded 79.76g, which represents 2.37 Ozt of pure silver. I've got a metal furnace and am collecting scrap to cast into "Sterling knuckles" much like the pedestrian Brass variety, but crafted for those who desire to impart a refined and lustrous flavor to their knuckle sandwiches :tongue3:

Last edited:
Upvote 19

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well over 2 troy oz's of pure silver for 50 cents is never ugly in my world ! That's $30. (close to it)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds and coin removal! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done good few days

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice finds and cleaning! :icon_thumleft: Love the Home Sweet Home!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a great job removing and cleaning those coins. Congrats on your finds including the the big silver find.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, congrats! I like trolling for cheap silver too. Sometimes you find things with researchable hallmarks worth a great deal of money. Good luck!

OP
OP
Plumbata

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, the cleaning was ridiculous and involved a combination of electrolysis, CLR soaking, aluminum foil/baking soda, chipping at crust with bamboo skewers and rubbing with a pink eraser. The copper color of the nickels isn't staining, but I believe the 75% Copper 25% Nickel alloy had the Nickel leached out the surface leaving behind the copper.

What type of site produces coin chunks like that? Strange but cool!

Coin mines, duh! :tongue3:

OK ok, urban freshwater deposits where hydrodynamic sorting concentrates heavies like iron and coins. Find and mine-out the rusty accretions and break them to bits to reveal hidden goodies. So if you have any creeks with bedrock bottom or very old channelized streams going through town then they will have deposits like this, sometimes still loose and sometimes fused together, it depends.

No detectors were used (not like they'd work anyway), just my nose and noggin.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Thanks everyone, the cleaning was ridiculous and involved a combination of electrolysis, CLR soaking, aluminum foil/baking soda, chipping at crust with bamboo skewers and rubbing with a pink eraser. The copper color of the nickels isn't staining, but I believe the 75% Copper 25% Nickel alloy had the Nickel leached out the surface leaving behind the copper.

Coin mines, duh! :tongue3:

OK ok, urban freshwater deposits where hydrodynamic sorting concentrates heavies like iron and coins. Find and mine-out the rusty accretions and break them to bits to reveal hidden goodies. So if you have any creeks with bedrock bottom or very old channelized streams going through town then they will have deposits like this, sometimes still loose and sometimes fused together, it depends.

No detectors were used (not like they'd work anyway), just my nose and noggin.

Fascinating. That's really ingenious. I've never heard of anyone doing that. Nice job!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds plumb! Congratulations

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest: