Success of my own making! 11-23 Road Trip Makes Me A Happy Boy!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I have been irritated with CWI location #94, and the *%^$*%(# inspector #4092 as of late.

Wednesday, 11/21, I got skunked again.

So....I did something that is completely against my personal religion.

See, I am the Pope, Cardinal, Bishop, Priest, and Congregation all rolled into one (as far as my personal religion goes lol).

One of the commandments of my own personal religion is this:

WHEN THOU HAST A DAY OFF FROM THINE SLAVEPIT, THOU SHALT SLEEP HALF THE DAY AWAY, AND SHALL ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF SLEEP THEREOF!!!!

I am a devout follower of that commandment, and if I have a day off from work, I guarantee you I will sleep until 11 AM at least.

However, today being a day off when the banks are actually still open, with vault tellers on duty no less, I decided to break mine own commandment, and get up early. I stopped at my fave branch early on to withdraw some cash and get some half dollar wrappers. By 10 AM I was headed to an area where I knew there were flocks of bank branches.
Enough that I usually was hitting 4-5 branches per mile.

So here is my tale of hilarity, wonder and amazement.

I hit a total of 20 different bank branches today.

I will give some details here:

1. 1 roll, skunk
2. 4 rolls - 2 rolls skunk,
3rd roll was SOLID 40% SILVER!
82k9yzp.jpg

4th roll had 11 40%!
6nvzz9x.jpg

3. 1 roll - skunk
4. no halves
5. 2 rolls: 1st roll gave up a nice 1996-s Proof and a 1969
2nd roll gave up a 1965 and a 1968

Bank branches 6-11 had no halves at all

12. 5 loose halves - 1 1967 & 1 1968
1 roll - skunk
13. Had $200 of rolls in the vault:
6 hand rolls - skunk
14 Machine rolls gave up 5 40%
14. no halves
15. 6 rolls which gave up a total of 6 40%, 3 1964, and a 1963-D Ben!
16. 2 rolls - skunk
17. no halves
18. no halves
19. no halves - but they told me that the new James Madison dollar coins are out now, and I bought a roll

Ok so it was getting late by this time. Probably around 3:30 or so. I stopped at a branch of my dump bank, and cashed in $390 of clad halves I had accumulated.

I knew where there was a small cluster of banks in a small town, and just drove into the downtown area, and spotted a sign for a large regional bank. At first I thought it was just an office building with offices for the headquarters, or an administrative facility or something, but then I figured out it was an actual branch in a building with a bunch of other offices.

I am so glad I decided to hit this one (#20 for the day). I walked in, and the teller had no halves, but asked the vault teller if she had any. She said she had $620 worth of rolls. I checked out the cash I had left....I had $570, so I told her I would take that much. She said "only if your promise not to bring them back." I promised they would never see them again.

I also asked if she would give me something to carry them in, and she gave me a rather large canvas bank bag, which I thought rather nice of her.

When I was loading them into the canvas bag, I noticed someone had written in pencil on a few rolls...stuff like '71' and '76-77'. I only saw 3 or 4 like that, though, so I was not overly concerned.
I went out to my vehicle and looked through them.

I found 2 rolls that had a single word written on them in pencil!
8bfzf9u.jpg

I was kinda nervous....opened one end, saw a 40% half....slid them all out, and saw this:
87k3syc.jpg

Turned out it had 17 40% and 3 1964 halves!!

Then I checked out the other one:
8eb2dmt.jpg

When I slid the halves out, it looked like this (possibly because this is an actual photo of them lol ;D )
87d8945.jpg

This roll had 16 40%, and 4 1964s! ;D

I looked through perhaps a dozen more rolls, and found a few more 40% halves. That is when I decided to find another bank around there, and cash in some of the skunk rolls, and go back and get the remaining 5 rolls from this cool bank.

I did just that, and then made my way home, stopping to pick up a pizza and do a little grocery shopping.

Got home, and went through the rest. I found some more 40% halves, including my very first 1976 40% half. Only problem is it is coated with some kinda crap that looks like baked maple syrup:
82xgbpe.jpg

Here is a photo of today's haul:
7x8on05.jpg

Here is a closeup of Ben, The Bincentennial crud, and the 1996 proof:
85fch8h.jpg

My Grand Total from today is as follows:

(1) 1963 Ben
(10) 1964
(6) 1965
(11) 1966
(22) 1967
(29) 1968
(15) 1969

Total of 11 90%, 84 40% and the 1996 proof.

I am a happy boi.
;D

It was my first successful road trip.
Hopefully not my last.

And one thing I must point out. EVERY single teller I encountered today was EXTREMELY helpful. They ALL went out of there way to ask all of the other tellers if they had any half dollars, even if they themselves had some to sell me.
Happy hunting everyone!
:)

Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Nice score MF!!!
You got them before they hit the boxes.
I noticed a lot of nice tellers this week too. Maybe because of the day off.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
TXTim said:
Nice score MF!!!
You got them before they hit the boxes.
I noticed a lot of nice tellers this week too. Maybe because of the day off.
Tim- I'm jealous too but I wouldn't of called him that LOL. Well....maybe under my breath haha.
Congrats MF- sorry just struck ME funny. HH Mark

ct358

Feb 3, 2007
maltesefalcon i have a question
how do you know when the 76,s are 40%
we get alot of them in bags some times and thought they were just ones to recirculate so we sent them to dump
thanks for your time

OP
OP
MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Simple.

2 ways to tell.

1. San Francisco mint mark. Only 1976-S halves were 40% silver (just as any others these days).

2. How do you tell ANY 1960s 40% half from a clad?
Silver Kennedys look much different than clad, right?
Despite all the crud on this one, I could tell it was a 40% half before I even looked at the mintmark.
And I could see no copper on the edges. Lotsa crud had seeped into the reeding, but what reeding was unaffected was still blackened in color without the clad-style red edge.

My vision is beginning to go on me, so I could not even see the mintmark until I got home and looked through a magnifying glass, though I just now realized all I really had to do at the time was take a macro-super closeup picture of the thing, then look at the LCD screen on the back of my digital camera with the image zoomed in.

But anyway, it was quite obviously silver, and not clad.

Hope that provides the info you were looking for.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
and to expound on that, San Francisco minted them in 40% both proof and business strike.

OP
OP
MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Thanks for the additional info.
This one I have would be business strike at best. Certainly not a proof.

Though I wish I knew what I could use to remove the crud that is on it.

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
WOW, super nice to see those rolls with "old" on em. You had to be thinkin Walkers huh? I know I was ;D
Congrats on a great trip
hh
vegasmtl

OP
OP
MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, I was sure hoping for Walkers and Barbers and Ben (oh my!), but no real complaints. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread