Suction dredge nozzle-intake vs jet vs supply size

JHuck

Aug 10, 2016
Boone County Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of making my own suction nozzle for my DIY dredge. For background I picked up a 2" Powermate trash pump on sale recently. It maxes out at 158 GPM. I can size the sluice based on real world flow.

For the nozzle I have a 45 degree 2" EMT tube. From what I've read, the jet should be roughly 1/4 of the 2" intake and the jet should be short. What are your thoughts on the jet size with the pump I bought? Also, I'm wondering does the size of the supply matter? I was planning on using 1" EMT to the jet and a 1" supply hose from the pump.

Lastly does the length of the supply hose matter? I was looking at 10-20' lengths at a big box store.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 parsets x 72 virgins divided by 9 = buy a jet and save yourself A LOT of headaches and 6 page thread

your going to be able to run a 3"inch and under using that pump and use a 2 inch line all the way too the jet.

OP
OP
J

JHuck

Aug 10, 2016
Boone County Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
100 parsets x 72 virgins divided by 9 = buy a jet and save yourself A LOT of headaches and 6 page thread

But I love a good debate and I haven't fired up my welder for a while.

Regarding the 2 inch supply line, do people have decent results with the flat blue hose or does it kink?

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) What GW said ^
2) A as DIY guy, I was a new guy who wanted to save money on gear and someone who has been down this road, unless you are familiar with the principles at play on here you are way better off buying used and going from there.
3) A trash pump isn't your friend is this equation and you are already behind the 8 ball
4) Now if you are Mark Watney stuck on Mars then maybe, but your are still gonna have to science the snot out of it.

ratled

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Blue lay flat hose KINKS if turned to your equipment UNLESS you use a short piece of suction hose at the ends near your equipment! and your pump is on the SKIMPY side of being able to use with a 2 inch line IF IT WILL WORK AT ALL ! Like GW said , buy one and avoid all the heart breaks!

OP
OP
J

JHuck

Aug 10, 2016
Boone County Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

your going to be able to run a 3"inch and under using that pump and use a 2 inch line all the way too the jet.

Why the preference of a power jet over a suction nozzle? If I'm working in 6" to 2' of water, would that change your recommendation? I've heard suction nozzles are better if shallow water de-priming is a concern.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes suction nozzle for shallow water you can pull it out of the water and not lose prime. Plus a jet log has to be at or below waterline to work right.

I use HEAVY DUTY layflat except for the last 6 feet to the nozzle that's regular flexible pressure hose so it can attach to the nozzle easily.
I use a trash pump 2 inch 158 gpm. It will work up to a 3 inch but better at 2.5.
You will not have the same suction as a pressure pump foes for a 3 inch but for puddle jumping it does work.

DO NOT TRY to use the cheap un reinforced layflat any twist and it will pop...tiniest hole from a branch or sharp rock and it fails right away.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But I love a good debate and I haven't fired up my welder for a while.

Regarding the 2 inch supply line, do people have decent results with the flat blue hose or does it kink?

I should have said 2 inch most of the way and neck it down to the proper pressure line when you get to the nozzle. A jet log isn't as far from the motor so it will be different

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't find an affordable jet or suction nozzle in these times your not trying hard enough ;)
Mine was free.
Even a new one for your size is less than 150 bucks normally

Attachments

• 1471278979694.jpg
    1471278979694.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 231
OP
OP
J

JHuck

Aug 10, 2016
Boone County Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can't find an affordable jet or suction nozzle in these times your not trying hard enough ;)
Mine was free.
Even a new one for your size is less than 150 bucks normally

I am on a very limited budget with my new hobby because my wife would like me to finish my last three projects first. Trying to fly under the radar at this point :icon_thumright: Dropping funds on a bunch of Tigerflex doesn't fit the current budget. I need to do a better job at looking for cheap stuff!

OP
OP
J

JHuck

Aug 10, 2016
Boone County Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes suction nozzle for shallow water you can pull it out of the water and not lose prime. Plus a jet log has to be at or below waterline to work right.

I use HEAVY DUTY layflat except for the last 6 feet to the nozzle that's regular flexible pressure hose so it can attach to the nozzle easily.
I use a trash pump 2 inch 158 gpm. It will work up to a 3 inch but better at 2.5.
You will not have the same suction as a pressure pump foes for a 3 inch but for puddle jumping it does work.

DO NOT TRY to use the cheap un reinforced layflat any twist and it will pop...tiniest hole from a branch or sharp rock and it fails right away.

I picked up 2" EMT but I'm not set on having to use this size. Do you recommend 2.5" over 2"?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes always go as big as you can

What is EMT? is that conduit?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread