OP
OP
S

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
Looks like you had a great summer. About how often did you get out?

We tried to get out at least once a day, but that didn't always work out. I would say at least 5 days a week. Average time hunting was about 2-4 hrs. We spent a lot of time down there, but every minute was fun. I didn't put all of the sunglasses that we found in that video. We have enough to start a sunglasses hut on the beach!

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a great summer. I haven't purchased a md yet. What's your opinion for something good in both shallow water and beach? Thanks!

OP
OP
S

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Looks like you had a great summer. I haven't purchased a md yet. What's your opinion for something good in both shallow water and beach? Thanks!

All of this really depends on your budget....

If you are just planning on hunting the beach: dry sand, wet sand and surf and you are knew to metal detecting, I would suggest the Minelab Excalibur. We used one for the past 6 years or so and it works great. If you plan on dry hunting as well and you don't mind a little bit of a learning curve, then the CTX 3030 will work good too. We also used this machine this summer. I don't recommend the CTX 3030 for rough water conditions though. It will work great in shallow water, the wet sand, the dry sand and anywhere on land. The ability to swap different coils and fully customize the way the metal detector works is a huge plus.

I originally started hunting the beach with a Tesoro Sandshark. It was a PI machine that had no discrimination. I was once approached by a guy who was using a Minelab Excalibur and he asked me how I was doing. I showed him all of the junk I had been digging up: tent stakes, bobby pins, fish hooks and tons of other trash and he said , "Why? While you are busy digging all of that trash, I have been digging these." He pulled two gold rings out of his pocket. I sold my Sandshark the next week and bought my Minelab Excalibur. I am not knocking a PI machine. They have their place, but for where I hunt, iron discrimination is a must on the beach.

There are plenty of other great machines out there, but these are the only two that I have put any amount of time into using. Hope that helps!

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate your advice. I have read a lot of posts and some people like the sand shark. However it seems the excal and ctx are more popular. My wife and I plan on spending more time in the Caribbean now that were getting older. I'm really looking forward to hunting on the beaches and shallow water where people swim. You said you don't recommend the ctx for rough water. What do you mean by that and what kind of problem would rough water cause? Thanks!

OP
OP
S

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
I really appreciate your advice. I have read a lot of posts and some people like the sand shark. However it seems the excal and ctx are more popular. My wife and I plan on spending more time in the Caribbean now that were getting older. I'm really looking forward to hunting on the beaches and shallow water where people swim. You said you don't recommend the ctx for rough water. What do you mean by that and what kind of problem would rough water cause? Thanks!

The Sandshark is a great machine, but like I said it has no discrimination. There have been a lot of people who have had their CTX 3030 leak, including me. I would not use it in fast moving water or water where there are powerful waves. The force could cause it to leak. Hope this helps.

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It helped! Thanks a lot for all the advice.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
gratz on all the loot !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions